From: Frank Beesley <frank.beesley@aeroflex.com>
To: karuottu@mbnet.fi
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Updating powerpc-crosscompile environment from gcc-2.95.3
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Lets take one step back - take a look at Kimmo Mustonen's original message:

-------
./configure --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=/tmp/cross --nfp
make TARGET_CONFIGDIRS=
make install
PATH=/tmp/cross/bin:$PATH
export PATH
cd /tmp/cross/src
bzip2 -dc /m/nfs/data/readwrite/sipo-external/gcc-4.0.2.tar.bz2 \
    | tar -xf -
mkdir -p gcc-4.0.2-obj
cd gcc-4.0.2-obj
../gcc-4.0.2/configure --target=powerpc-linux --with-cpu=603e --nfp \
    --prefix=/tmp/cross --enable-shared --enable-languages="c" \
    --with-newlib --disable-threads
make TARGET_CONFIGDIRS=
-------

So we both have just built and installed a new binutils (2.16 for Kimmo,
2.15 for me) using a native gcc (2.95 for Kimmo, 3.2.2 for me) and we
are now trying to build the first-stage gcc cross-compiler (4.0.2 for
Kimmo, 4.0.1 for me). My suggestion to Kimmo was to change his gcc
configure to remove enable-shared and replace it with disable-shared.
Because of this change I am able to get further through the first-step
gcc cross-compiler build - though is does not successfully complete.

After I run the gcc configure I run make to build the gcc cross
compiler. This is what is failing with the message that it cannot create
executables - this is from within the make script, and yes I understand
that the "compiler" is not who actually makes the "executable". I have
also tried setting my path to $PREFIX/$TARGET/bin:$PATH to point at the
newly built tools but the configure for gcc fails when I do this. So
still have not figured out the right combination to build the gcc cross
compiler. I cannot successfully run "make install-gcc" because I cannot
build gcc for the powerpc-motorola-linux target.

Thanks
Frank