* Stability of GCC 4.1 & gprof question
@ 2006-02-22 10:56 David Carter-Hitchin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Carter-Hitchin @ 2006-02-22 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

a) Can anyone say if GCC 4.1 is production ready now?  I heard about some
issues with 4.0, so hopefully 4.1 might be mature enough.  Platform would be
RHEL3 with Opteron if that is relevant.

b) Is this the right mailing list for help gprof - I tried to find such a
thing dedicated to gprof but could find one.  My question is that when
profiling code which loads shared objects, do the shared objects get
profiled, or do you have to do something special to get them profiled?

Thanks,
David.

* Re: Stability of GCC 4.1 & gprof question
@ 2006-02-22 13:29 ` David Carter-Hitchin
From: David Carter-Hitchin @ 2006-02-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Carter-Hitchin; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi,

> a) Can anyone say if GCC 4.1 is production ready now?  I heard about some
> issues with 4.0, so hopefully 4.1 might be mature enough.  Platform would
> be RHEL3 with Opteron if that is relevant.

Some people might wonder why I'm asking about 4.1 when it isn't released
yet.  I found the following pages list different current versions of GCC:

http://gcc.gnu.org/
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc

How confusing!

Anyway - same question is anyone using the latest version of 4 (4.0.3. from
what I can see) for production code?

Cheers,

@ 2006-02-22 14:40 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-02-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Carter-Hitchin; +Cc: gcc-help

"David Carter-Hitchin" <carter-hitchin@clara.co.uk> writes:

> Hi, a) Can anyone say if GCC 4.1 is production ready now?  I heard
> about some issues with 4.0, so hopefully 4.1 might be mature enough.
> Platform would be RHEL3 with Opteron if that is relevant. b) Is this
> the right mailing list for help gprof - I tried to find such a thing
> dedicated to gprof but could find one.  My question is that when
> profiling code which loads shared objects, do the shared objects get
> profiled, or do you have to do something special to get them profiled?

a) This is the right gcc list for the question, but we are probably
the wrong people to ask.  As far as most of us are concerned 4.0.3 is
ready for production code.  It is being used in the Fedora Core
GNU/Linux distribution, for example.  But only you can decide whether
is ready for your code.

b) gprof is usually covered on the binutils mailing list.  See
       http://sourceware.org/binutils/
   If you want to profile shared objects, you need to compile them
   with profiling turned on.  If you do that, it should work.  Or use
   oprofile, which does not require a special compilation option.

Ian

* Re: Stability of GCC 4.1 & gprof question
@ 2006-02-23  1:51 ` David Gressett
From: David Gressett @ 2006-02-23  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

David Carter-Hitchin wrote:
> Hi,
> a) Can anyone say if GCC 4.1 is production ready now?  I heard about
> some issues with 4.0, so hopefully 4.1 might be mature enough.
> Platform would be RHEL3 with Opteron if that is relevant.
> b) Is this the right mailing list for help gprof - I tried to find
> such a thing dedicated to gprof but could find one.  My question is
> that when profiling code which loads shared objects, do the shared
> objects get profiled, or do you have to do something special to get
> them profiled?
> Thanks,
> David.

The gcc people are are in the final stages of getting an official
release out for 4.1, so obviously they are fairly happy with it.  A
release candidate is available for wannabe testers.

* Re: Stability of GCC 4.1 & gprof question
@ 2006-02-25 11:01   ` dch
From: dch @ 2006-02-25 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: David Carter-Hitchin, gcc-help

Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>"David Carter-Hitchin" <carter-hitchin@clara.co.uk> writes:
>

>>Hi, a) Can anyone say if GCC 4.1 is production ready now?  I heard
>>about some issues with 4.0, so hopefully 4.1 might be mature enough.
>>Platform would be RHEL3 with Opteron if that is relevant. b) Is this
>>the right mailing list for help gprof - I tried to find such a thing
>>dedicated to gprof but could find one.  My question is that when
>>profiling code which loads shared objects, do the shared objects get
>>profiled, or do you have to do something special to get them profiled?
>>

>a) This is the right gcc list for the question, but we are probably
>the wrong people to ask.  As far as most of us are concerned 4.0.3 is
>ready for production code.  It is being used in the Fedora Core
>GNU/Linux distribution, for example.  But only you can decide whether
>is ready for your code.

Although I'm sure Fedora is used productively, it is mainly a "home" or
"hobbyist" O/S, so I wouldn't count this as a production example.  Had
you said RHEL4 was using 4.0.3 that would be a different matter.  I
realise that it might be difficult to get responses at this stage of
4.x's progress, but nevertheless I thought it worth asking if anyone
from industry or finance (for example) is using it yet.   When 4.1 comes
along I'll find some time to run some tests, but before I did that I
just wanted to hear any stories about peoples experiences so far.

>b) gprof is usually covered on the binutils mailing list.  See
>       http://sourceware.org/binutils/
>   If you want to profile shared objects, you need to compile them
>   with profiling turned on.  If you do that, it should work.  Or use
>   oprofile, which does not require a special compilation option.

Thanks for that - I'll sign up.

Cheers,
David.