* 1. How to checkout gcc 4.1?      2. Outputing dependancy headers  in a way that's not make specific
@ 2006-02-23 17:57 Asfand Yar Qazi
From: Asfand Yar Qazi @ 2006-02-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

2 questions:

1.  How on earth do you checkout the 4.1 release?  I've looked everywhere for
the SVN tag name, and can't find it.

2.  I want to generate dependancies for a non-Makefile build system (the Ruby
'rake' build system) which is unfortunately a bit immature, and doesn't do
automatic dependancy generation for C/C++.  It'd be useful if the GCC
dependancy generation system could output dependancies in an easy to parse
non-Makefile format and a few regexps would do the rest.  Know of a way?  Or
plans to generalise the dependancy generation features of GCC?

Thanks

* Re: 1. How to checkout gcc 4.1?      2. Outputing dependancy headers  in a way that's not make specific
@ 2006-02-23 18:12 ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-02-23 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Asfand Yar Qazi; +Cc: gcc-help

On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

> 2.  I want to generate dependancies for a non-Makefile build system
> (the Ruby 'rake' build system) which is unfortunately a bit
> immature, and doesn't do automatic dependancy generation for C/C+
> +.  It'd be useful if the GCC dependancy generation system could
> output dependancies in an easy to parse non-Makefile format and a
> few regexps would do the rest.  Know of a way?  Or plans to
> generalise the dependancy generation features of GCC?

I am not sure if this answers your question: gcc/g++ has a whole
bunch of options with -M (like -MM, etc)  The form I use is -MMD.  It
does:

target : dep1 dep2 dep3 ...

The lines are continued with a backslash but there are alternatives
that don't break the lines.

* Re: 1. How to checkout gcc 4.1?      2. Outputing dependancy headers  in a way that's not make specific
@ 2006-02-23 18:16 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-02-23 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Asfand Yar Qazi; +Cc: gcc-help

Asfand Yar Qazi <email@asfandyar.cjb.net> writes:

> 1.  How on earth do you checkout the 4.1 release?  I've looked
> everywhere for the SVN tag name, and can't find it.

There is no 4.1 release yet, so there is no SVN tag for it.  You can
check out the branch from
    svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/gcc-4_1-branch

> 2.  I want to generate dependancies for a non-Makefile build system
> (the Ruby 'rake' build system) which is unfortunately a bit immature,
> and doesn't do automatic dependancy generation for C/C++.  It'd be
> useful if the GCC dependancy generation system could output
> dependancies in an easy to parse non-Makefile format and a few regexps
> would do the rest.  Know of a way?  Or plans to generalise the
> dependancy generation features of GCC?

I imagine that you could apply sed to the output of -M and friends (or
the DEPENDENCIES_OUTPUT environment variable).  Other than that I do
not know of a way.  Nor do I know of any plans to generalize this
feature, though I suspect that a clean patch would be accepted.

Ian

* Re: 1. How to checkout gcc 4.1?      2. Outputing dependancy headers   in a way that's not make specific
@ 2006-02-23 18:24   ` Asfand Yar Qazi
From: Asfand Yar Qazi @ 2006-02-23 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Perry Smith wrote:
 > On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
 >
 >> 2.  I want to generate dependancies for a non-Makefile build system
 >> (the Ruby 'rake' build system) which is unfortunately a bit  immature,
 >> and doesn't do automatic dependancy generation for C/C+ +.  It'd be
 >> useful if the GCC dependancy generation system could  output
 >> dependancies in an easy to parse non-Makefile format and a  few
 >> regexps would do the rest.  Know of a way?  Or plans to  generalise
 >> the dependancy generation features of GCC?
 >

 > I am not sure if this answers your question: gcc/g++ has a whole  bunch
 > of options with -M (like -MM, etc)  The form I use is -MMD.  It  does:
 >
 > target : dep1 dep2 dep3 ...

That's the form I used for my old GNU make build system - then I moved to
Python and SCons.  But since I'm a Ruby person, I want to use its 'Rake' build
system, but that doesn't do automatic dependancy generation (it doesn't do a
lot of things unfortunately.)

 > The lines are continued with a backslash but there are alternatives
 > that don't break the lines.

That would be useful - I'll take a look.  That 'not breaking the lines'
business would actually be quite useful, allowing a nice regexp to be written
to parse it.  I wonder how GCC outputs filenames that include spaces?  Perhaps
it uses backslashes (Program\ Files for example).

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Asfand Yar Qazi <email@asfandyar.cjb.net> writes:
>

>>1.  How on earth do you checkout the 4.1 release?  I've looked
>>everywhere for the SVN tag name, and can't find it.
>

> There is no 4.1 release yet, so there is no SVN tag for it.  You can
> check out the branch from
>     svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/gcc-4_1-branch

I've been browsing the svn repository, and I only looked under the 'tags'
section - thanks for that.

>>2.  I want to generate dependancies for a non-Makefile build system
>>(the Ruby 'rake' build system) which is unfortunately a bit immature,
>>and doesn't do automatic dependancy generation for C/C++.  It'd be
>>useful if the GCC dependancy generation system could output
>>dependancies in an easy to parse non-Makefile format and a few regexps
>>would do the rest.  Know of a way?  Or plans to generalise the
>>dependancy generation features of GCC?
>

> I imagine that you could apply sed to the output of -M and friends (or
> the DEPENDENCIES_OUTPUT environment variable).  Other than that I do
> not know of a way.  Nor do I know of any plans to generalize this
> feature, though I suspect that a clean patch would be accepted.

MUHAHAHAHA - I suspect that will look quite good on my CV :-)

Thanks both
	Asfand Yar

* Re: 1. How to checkout gcc 4.1?      2. Outputing dependancy headers    in a way that's not make specific
@ 2006-02-23 19:02     ` Asfand Yar Qazi
From: Asfand Yar Qazi @ 2006-02-23 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>  >
>  >
>  > I am not sure if this answers your question: gcc/g++ has a whole  bunch
>  > of options with -M (like -MM, etc)  The form I use is -MMD.  It  does:
>  >
>  > target : dep1 dep2 dep3 ...
>
> That's the form I used for my old GNU make build system - then I moved
> to Python and SCons.  But since I'm a Ruby person, I want to use its
> 'Rake' build system, but that doesn't do automatic dependancy generation
> (it doesn't do a lot of things unfortunately.)
>
>  >
>  > The lines are continued with a backslash but there are alternatives
>  > that don't break the lines.
>  >

> That would be useful - I'll take a look.  That 'not breaking the lines'
> business would actually be quite useful, allowing a nice regexp to be
> written to parse it.  I wonder how GCC outputs filenames that include
> spaces?  Perhaps it uses backslashes (Program\ Files for example).

I can't find any options for not breaking the lines with a backslash.  What
did you have in mind?