* crosscompiler for ia64
@ 2007-12-14 21:01 Eduardo Martinez Pardeiro
From: Eduardo Martinez Pardeiro @ 2007-12-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,
       I want to build a crosscompiler from i486 to ia64-hp-hpux11.23.
I know in configure have to specify --target=ia64-hp-hpux11.23, but
only with this, i have a mistake. What more have i do?
thanks

* Re: crosscompiler for ia64
@ 2007-12-15  0:39 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-12-15  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Martinez Pardeiro; +Cc: gcc-help

Eduardo Martinez Pardeiro wrote:

>        I want to build a crosscompiler from i486 to ia64-hp-hpux11.23.
> I know in configure have to specify --target=ia64-hp-hpux11.23, but
> only with this, i have a mistake. What more have i do?

The problem that you're running into is that gcc is just the compiler,
it is not the C library.  If you try to build a cross compiler without a
libc (i.e. just using what comes with gcc) you will get something that
is not very useful as it can't link any programs -- which also means it
won't be able to build libgcc or libstdc++ or any of the other required
support libraries, let alone a "hello world" C program.  This is
probably not what you want.

One way to supply these items is with a sysroot.  Take the relevant
items from the target system (e.g. /usr/include and /usr/lib or
whereever they are located) and reproduce them in the same tree
structure in some subdirectory on the cross host.  Then supply the top
of that location as --with-sysroot=/foo/bar when configuring the cross
compiler.  If you don't have an appropriate target system to get a copy
of these files from then you're in a bit of a pickle.  If the target is
open source you can use a more complicated process to bootstrap them
from source, but when you're targeting a proprietary target like HP-UX
there's really no choice but to copy them from the target system.

Brian

* Re: crosscompiler for ia64
@ 2007-12-15 15:49   ` Eduardo Martinez Pardeiro
From: Eduardo Martinez Pardeiro @ 2007-12-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Thanks Brian. I'll try to do it. Is neccesary to recompile binutils
with hpux target? I read somewhere that,but i don't know if it's
neccesary