* -fpic vs fPIC
@ 2006-06-12  1:31 Hiroki Kaminaga
From: Hiroki Kaminaga @ 2006-06-12  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

What is the difference of -fpic and -fPIC?
Is there any info doc?

Thanks in Advance.

(Hiroki Kaminaga)

* Re: -fpic vs fPIC
@ 2006-06-12  2:24 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-06-12  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hiroki Kaminaga wrote:

> What is the difference of -fpic and -fPIC?
> Is there any info doc?

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/Code-Gen-Options.html#index-fpic-1614

* Re: -fpic vs fPIC
@ 2006-06-12  3:30   ` Hiroki Kaminaga
From: Hiroki Kaminaga @ 2006-06-12  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, brian; +Cc: kaminaga

> Hiroki Kaminaga wrote:
>
> > What is the difference of -fpic and -fPIC?
> > Is there any info doc?
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/Code-Gen-Options.html#index-fpic-1614

Thank you very much.

On ppc32/linux target, -fpic and -fPIC is available, and from the
above info, I assume -fpic is better for performance, and if library
GOT size exceeds 32k, -fPIC is the only chice.

(Hiroki Kaminaga)

* Re: -fpic vs fPIC
@ 2006-06-12  3:40     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-06-12  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hiroki Kaminaga wrote:

> Thank you very much.
>
> On ppc32/linux target, -fpic and -fPIC is available, and from the
> above info, I assume -fpic is better for performance, and if library
> GOT size exceeds 32k, -fPIC is the only chice.

You might also want to read
<http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf>, particularly page 14.

Brian