* crosscompiler host = i686 linux-gnu(athlon) ,target = dec alpha (for producing tru64 alpha binaries)
@ 2006-07-07  1:01 kiran Pakala
From: kiran Pakala @ 2006-07-07  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear Sir/Madam

I have been struggling to find a easy to use document for cross
compiler that produces tru64 alpha binaries on my i686 athlon
linux-gnu workstation.I have tried Dan kegel's crosstool but it has
somthing for alpha but not dec alpha.Please help me out.

thanks
kiran

* Re: crosscompiler host = i686 linux-gnu(athlon) ,target = dec alpha  (for producing tru64 alpha binaries)
@ 2006-07-07 13:14 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2006-07-07 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiran Pakala; +Cc: gcc-help

kiran Pakala kirjoitti:
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I have been struggling to find a easy to use document for cross
> compiler that produces tru64 alpha binaries on my i686 athlon
> linux-gnu workstation.I have tried Dan kegel's crosstool but it has
> somthing for alpha but not dec alpha.Please help me out.
 There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding...   In a rather
long private email I tried to explain Kiran that it would be better
first to tell what on earth he really needs: to produce "binaries"
(only "objects", '.o' files), or "executables" ('.exe' on windows,
binary files with the 'x' right on Unix).  Without first telling this
simple thing, it would be quite hard to get any progress with this
thing...  But that seemingly failed miserably.

 Producing a full crosscompiler for 'alpha-dec-osf*' was discussed
recently on this maillist. And it  being impossible  for some time
because the GNU binutils don't work with these targets.  Native
GCCs could be  fully possible when they can use the native DEC
(HP/Compaq) binutils.  And especially they have the native C
library there!   A crosscompiler maker can thing GCC having
"everything" for a "compiler", also the GNU docs try to tell this
kind of "misinformation" without maybe nobody else but me
caring about this :-(    A newbie  usually thinks a compiler
being something like MSVC or BCC on Windoze.  Or the Cygwin
and  MinGW on the Windoze...  Or the  "GCC" on Linux...  That
the Linux's "glibc" is not a part of "GCC" seems to be something
totally weird!

 So could someone beside me try to tell these ugly facts about
GCC to Kiran so that he/she could understand it?  Maybe he
thinks me being a madman/wackoo when claiming things like
these...

 The "cross compiler that produces tru64 alpha binaries on my
i686 athlon linux-gnu workstation" is far from being clear.  And
not telling whether he/she has the required C library for the
target or what could be the goal anyway, can really make one
becoming that madman/wackoo after trying vain to tell any
facts about "producing binaries" with GCC :-)