* using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10  7:11 Mangal Pandey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mangal Pandey @ 2006-07-10  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi Group,

I built an application on RHEL AS4.0 (gcc 4.0.1) and
its working fine. Now I want to port that appliation
on windows.
Can anybody suggest me how to use GCC on winXP or
atleast i can get any document.

TAI,
Mangal

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10  8:21 ` Sisyphus
From: Sisyphus @ 2006-07-10  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mangal Pandey, gcc

> I built an application on RHEL AS4.0 (gcc 4.0.1) and
> its working fine. Now I want to port that appliation
> on windows.
> Can anybody suggest me how to use GCC on winXP or
> atleast i can get any document.

http://www.mingw.org/

Cheers,
Rob

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10  8:21 ` Marco Trudel
From: Marco Trudel @ 2006-07-10  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mangal Pandey; +Cc: gcc

Hello Mangal

Either compile gcc so that it will run on RHEL AS4.0 and compiles for
windows or compile gcc so that it will run on Windows and compiles for
Windows.
The first approach will be easier (in my opinion).

Check this tutorial for a starting point:
http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html

If you wish, I can upload the missing binaries from my gcc 4.2.0 build I
use in javaCompiler (http://javaCompiler.sf.net). You'd have a fully gcc
4.2.0 running on windows compiling for windows.

regards
Marco

Mangal Pandey wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I built an application on RHEL AS4.0 (gcc 4.0.1) and
> its working fine. Now I want to port that appliation
> on windows.
> Can anybody suggest me how to use GCC on winXP or
> atleast i can get any document.
>
> TAI,
> Mangal

> Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn something new
> http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10 11:01   ` Mangal Pandey
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mangal Pandey @ 2006-07-10 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Trudel; +Cc: gcc

Thanks all.
I can see the first approach looks easier. Just to
reconfirm that I can compile my application on RHEL
AS4 to generate objects for windows?

Now for the second approach what you have suggested do
i need to use any Application development environment
on windows to invoke GCC there.

TAI,
Mangal

--- Marco Trudel <mtrudel@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hello Mangal
>
> Either compile gcc so that it will run on RHEL AS4.0
> and compiles for
> windows or compile gcc so that it will run on
> Windows and compiles for
> Windows.
> The first approach will be easier (in my opinion).
>
> Check this tutorial for a starting point:
> http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
>
> If you wish, I can upload the missing binaries from
> my gcc 4.2.0 build I
> use in javaCompiler (http://javaCompiler.sf.net).
> You'd have a fully gcc
> 4.2.0 running on windows compiling for windows.
>
> regards
> Marco
>

> Mangal Pandey wrote:
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I built an application on RHEL AS4.0 (gcc 4.0.1)
> and
> > its working fine. Now I want to port that
> appliation
> > on windows.
> > Can anybody suggest me how to use GCC on winXP or
> > atleast i can get any document.
> >
> > TAI,
> > Mangal

> > Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn
> something new
> > http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10 11:08     ` Marco Trudel
From: Marco Trudel @ 2006-07-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mangal Pandey; +Cc: gcc

Mangal Pandey wrote:
> Thanks all.
> I can see the first approach looks easier. Just to
> reconfirm that I can compile my application on RHEL
> AS4 to generate objects for windows?

Yes. Executables too...

> Now for the second approach what you have suggested do
> i need to use any Application development environment
> on windows to invoke GCC there.

No. The usual windows command prompt (cmd or command) does the job...

regards
Marco

> --- Marco Trudel <mtrudel@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hello Mangal
>>
>> Either compile gcc so that it will run on RHEL AS4.0
>> and compiles for
>> windows or compile gcc so that it will run on
>> Windows and compiles for
>> Windows.
>> The first approach will be easier (in my opinion).
>>
>> Check this tutorial for a starting point:
>> http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
>>
>> If you wish, I can upload the missing binaries from
>> my gcc 4.2.0 build I
>> use in javaCompiler (http://javaCompiler.sf.net).
>> You'd have a fully gcc
>> 4.2.0 running on windows compiling for windows.
>>
>> regards
>> Marco
>>

>> Mangal Pandey wrote:
>>> Hi Group,
>>>
>>> I built an application on RHEL AS4.0 (gcc 4.0.1)
>> and
>>> its working fine. Now I want to port that
>> appliation
>>> on windows.
>>> Can anybody suggest me how to use GCC on winXP or
>>> atleast i can get any document.
>>>
>>> TAI,
>>> Mangal

>>> Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn
>> something new
>>> http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

> Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn something new
> http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10 11:10 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-07-10 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mangal Pandey; +Cc: gcc

Mangal Pandey wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I built an application on RHEL AS4.0 (gcc 4.0.1) and
> its working fine. Now I want to port that appliation
> on windows.
> Can anybody suggest me how to use GCC on winXP or
> atleast i can get any document.

I would say forget it, if you aren't willing to use search tools like
the one at gcc.gnu.org, or in your browser, or if you have ruled out
cygwin.  Prior responders seem to be confused about whether you have
decided to use 32-bit or 64-bit gcc, the latter not being supported on
Windows.

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10 11:54     ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2006-07-10 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mangal Pandey; +Cc: gcc

Mangal Pandey kirjoitti:
> Thanks all.
> I can see the first approach looks easier. Just to
> reconfirm that I can compile my application on RHEL
> AS4 to generate objects for windows?

This Linux distro maybe doesn't have any prebuilt
RPMS for this purpose but the Debian has... And
in the area of binutils and GCC the binary compatability
isn't that bad between distros, so installing (by unpacking)
the Debian '.deb' packages into the RedHats should
give fully working tools. Just as installing a generic
Mozilla application for Linux...

 I tried some Debian-made Linux-X-MinGW toolchain
some months ago and the only problem was that the
toolchain wasn't relocatable, some bug in the new GCC
(3.4.x or 4.0.x) forcing to use the original '--prefix=/usr'
setting in the set for the installation.  The host here was
SuSE 9.2...

 But building the crosstoolchain oneself is of course the
assumption. While learning to do that the pre-made
toolchain can serve as a good/bad example (the Debian
one as "bad" when using the base system's '/usr' for its
installation - using '/opt/gcc' or something 'local' would
be suggested. But opinions about this may differ).

> Now for the second approach what you have suggested do
> i need to use any Application development environment
> on windows to invoke GCC there.

 Not, but if you want a Unix-like development platform
on Windoze, then you will need to install one...  I myself
have used Linux as that "Unix-like development platform"
for the Windoze apps, mainly crosstools for embedded
targets hosted on Windoze...

* Re: using GCC on winXP
@ 2006-07-10 12:10     ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2006-07-10 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mangal Pandey; +Cc: gcc

Kai Ruottu wrote:

 > I tried some Debian-made Linux-X-MinGW toolchain
 > some months ago

The current situation in the Windoze/MinGW targeted
Debian Linux/x86 toolchains can be seen in the dirs :

   /debian/pool/main/m/mingw32*

at the Debian archive mirrors...  In the Finnish 'ftp.jyu.fi'
there was only gcc-3.4.5, no gcc-4.x versions yet...