* java runtime
@ 2006-09-15 14:37 Dima Sorkin
From: Dima Sorkin @ 2006-09-15 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi.
 I have an application that requires java runtime (at Linux Fedora).
Does some come with GCJ ? (I want to try, before installing the Sun's one).

Thank you,
 Dima.

* Re: java runtime
@ 2006-09-15 15:30 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-09-15 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dima Sorkin; +Cc: gcc-help

Dima Sorkin wrote:
> Hi.
> I have an application that requires java runtime (at Linux Fedora).
> Does some come with GCJ ? (I want to try, before installing the Sun's one).

gcj has a full set of linkable libraries.  If the application is built to
  depend on Sun or IBM JRE, I suppose it would have to be rebuilt to use
gcj.

* Re: java runtime
@ 2006-09-15 15:57   ` Dima Sorkin
From: Dima Sorkin @ 2006-09-15 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi.
On 9/15/06, Tim Prince  wrote:
> Dima Sorkin wrote:
> > I have an application that requires java runtime (at Linux Fedora).
> > Does some come with GCJ ? (I want to try, before installing the Sun's one).
> gcj has a full set of linkable libraries.  If the application is built to
>   depend on Sun or IBM JRE, I suppose it would have to be rebuilt to use
> gcj.
 Ok, with GCJ I can build an executable, not to run an applet, right ?

Dima.

* Re: java runtime
@ 2006-09-15 17:01     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-09-15 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dima Sorkin; +Cc: gcc-help

Dima Sorkin wrote:
> Hi.
> On 9/15/06, Tim Prince  wrote:
>> Dima Sorkin wrote:
>> > I have an application that requires java runtime (at Linux Fedora).
>> > Does some come with GCJ ? (I want to try, before installing the
>> Sun's one).
>> gcj has a full set of linkable libraries.  If the application is built to
>>   depend on Sun or IBM JRE, I suppose it would have to be rebuilt to use
>> gcj.
> Ok, with GCJ I can build an executable, not to run an applet, right ?
>
> Dima.

I believe that's correct.  I'll defer to a true gcj developer, if one
shows up.

* Re: java runtime
@ 2006-09-15 18:25     ` Marco Trudel
From: Marco Trudel @ 2006-09-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dima Sorkin; +Cc: gcc-help

Dima Sorkin wrote:
> Hi.
> On 9/15/06, Tim Prince  wrote:
>> Dima Sorkin wrote:
>> > I have an application that requires java runtime (at Linux Fedora).
>> > Does some come with GCJ ? (I want to try, before installing the
>> Sun's one).
>> gcj has a full set of linkable libraries.  If the application is built to
>>   depend on Sun or IBM JRE, I suppose it would have to be rebuilt to use
>> gcj.
> Ok, with GCJ I can build an executable, not to run an applet, right ?
>
> Dima.

With GCJ, you can compile Java -> Applications <- (with a main() method)
to an executable. You can't compile an applet to an application, because
you need some sort of appletviewer for an applet. But if you've already
an applet, then it won't be hard to change it to an AWT application...

Aditionally you can run bytecode (for example compiled with a sun jdk
1.5) with gij.

You might want to use a GUI frontend for GCJ: http://javaCompiler.sf.net

And finally: You're on the wrong mailinglist buddy. There's a java
relatet list. See http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html

Marco