* gcc 3.0 and linux kernel
@ 2006-11-27 17:04 Kashif
From: Kashif @ 2006-11-27 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I am using a compiler which supports gnu extensions uptil gcc 3.0. As
gcc is used to compile the linux kernel I was wondering at max which
kernel version can be compiled with gcc 3.0? Or is it the case that
gnu extensions with gcc 3.0 are pretty much the same as those that are
supported in the latest release?

Thanks,

Kashif

* Re: gcc 3.0 and linux kernel
@ 2006-11-27 17:42 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-11-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kashif; +Cc: gcc-help

Kashif wrote:

> I am using a compiler which supports gnu extensions uptil gcc 3.0. As
> gcc is used to compile the linux kernel I was wondering at max which
> kernel version can be compiled with gcc 3.0?  Or is it the case that
> gnu extensions with gcc 3.0 are pretty much the same as those that are
> supported in the latest release?

This is not really a question of the capabilities of gcc but rather of
how the kernel is coded.  It is tied very closely to gcc, to the point
where it has a number of version-specific #ifdefs.  It's really more a
question for LKML than here.

You should read the file Documentation/Changes, which for any given
kernel should tell you the minimum required version of gcc.  As far as I
can tell, kernel 2.6.16 (20-Mar-2006) dropped all support for gcc < 3.2
so don't even bother trying to compile it or anything more recent with
your ancient gcc.

Brian