* gcc-3.4.2 Cross Compiler
@ 2007-02-27 12:49 arpit jain
From: arpit jain @ 2007-02-27 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hiiiiiiii

          I had successdully build the gcc-3.4.2 for
Ada language as native compiler but I want to build it
as a cross compiler for intel i960 target.

Someone told me that it is now obsolete in gcc-4.x
versions so I tried building it using gcc-3.x version.
but at the time of building it using gcc-3.x it still
shows error like:

Configuration i960-unknown-coff is obsolete.
Specify --enable-obsolete to build it anyway.
*** Support will be REMOVED in the next major release
of GCC,
*** unless a maintainer comes forward.

Can anyone plz tell me:
1 Which gcc version support Ada language for i960
target?

Thanks
Arpit

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

* Re: gcc-3.4.2 Cross Compiler
@ 2007-02-27 13:07 ` Fabian Cenedese
From: Fabian Cenedese @ 2007-02-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

>Configuration i960-unknown-coff is obsolete.
>Specify --enable-obsolete to build it anyway.

Doesn't it work if you use this?

bye   Fabi

* Re: gcc-3.4.2 Cross Compiler
@ 2007-02-27 13:17   ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2007-02-27 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Fabian Cenedese wrote:

>> Configuration i960-unknown-coff is obsolete.
>> Specify --enable-obsolete to build it anyway.
>>

> Doesn't it work if you use this?

In some cases it doesn't :-(

In a Canadian Cross case like producing a MinGW-hosted
gcc-3.4.6 for i960-coff on Linux, the '--enable-obsolete'
doesn't work!  Somehow the 'auto-build.h' will not be
produced and the work-around/fix is to remove the 'i960-*'
from the obsolete-list!

* Re: gcc-3.4.2 Cross Compiler
@ 2007-02-27 14:31 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2007-02-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arpit jain; +Cc: gcc

arpit jain wrote:
>           I had successdully build the gcc-3.4.2 for
> Ada language as native compiler but I want to build it
> as a cross compiler for intel i960 target.
>
> Configuration i960-unknown-coff is obsolete.
> Specify --enable-obsolete to build it anyway.
> Which gcc version support Ada language for i960
> target?

 Probably Ada is NOT supported for 'i960-coff' !  Or although
the configure would succeed, the "embedded no-opsys" target
platform doesn't have what Ada requires like a "file system" :-(

 I remember this "no-opsys" being the reason for Ada not
succeeding for the embedded targets.  But opsyses like Linux
and in the i960 case the 'i960-wrs-vxworks' target could work.

 Let's hope I have misunderstood the needs for Ada, otherwise
the build can be quite tough :-(