* horrible link times with g++ 4.1.1 and -g
@ 2007-03-31  0:23 Egon Kocjan
From: Egon Kocjan @ 2007-03-31  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I am trying to build a ~100 KLOC c++ application with g++ 4.1.1 and
debugging enabled (-g, no -O...). I also link statically some other
libraries, like libxml, clucene, etc.., mostly c. The link time with -g
is really horrible - it is in range of several minutes! I used 3.4.5
previously, and link time was more like 10-20 seconds. Am I missing
something obvious here?

Regards,
Egon Kocjan

* Re: horrible link times with g++ 4.1.1 and -g
@ 2007-03-31  3:21 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-03-31  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egon Kocjan; +Cc: gcc-help

Egon Kocjan wrote:

> I am trying to build a ~100 KLOC c++ application with g++ 4.1.1 and
> debugging enabled (-g, no -O...). I also link statically some other
> libraries, like libxml, clucene, etc.., mostly c. The link time with -g
> is really horrible - it is in range of several minutes! I used 3.4.5
> previously, and link time was more like 10-20 seconds. Am I missing
> something obvious here?

The linker is not part of gcc.  Assuming you're using the GNU linker,
it's part of binutils, which has its own mailing list.

There have been some speedups in the linker code over the last few
years, so the first thing I'd do would be to try the latest version (or
better, CVS HEAD) and see if the problem is still there.  If so, post to
the binutils list with as many details as you can.

Brian