* Compilining with newlib
@ 2007-06-01 18:09 none none
From: none none @ 2007-06-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi all,

My aim is to cross compile applications for an embeded powerpc
system running a lite version of linux and having nothing on (no headers,
no gcc etc).  I have two questions.

So I have my linux box with and intel i386 on and got binutils-2.17, gcc-4.2 and glibc from
2.3.4 to 2.6.(!!)

I have compiled gcc successfully using
../configure
--target=powerpc-linux --prefix=$prefix --disable-shared --disable-threads
--enable-languages=c --with-newlib
make all-gcc install-gcc

Then I tried in vain to install glibc. I got many errors and finally I had enough and
abandoned the effort. My first question is this:

Has anyone been able to cross compile gcc-glibc for powerpc? If yes which relative new
combination of gcc-glibc works (new meaning gcc after 3.3.4 because older are too old
for my system and configure fails)

Secondly I have desided to use newlib so I downloaded newlib-1.15.0 and tried to
configure it for powerpc using the following
CC=powerpc-linux-gcc ../configure --host=powerpc-linux --prefix=$prefix

I had previously exported powerpc-linux-gcc and binutils to my path.

I keep getting the error:
checking whether the C compiler (powerpc-linux-gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

What am I doing wrong? Is my gcc really not working or do I get something wrong with newlib??
If yes what do I have to do in order to get my powerpc-linux-gcc finally run a hello world program ??? (!!!!)

Thanks in advance for any help
Andreas Sotirakopoulos