From: Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>
To: jay caverte <jaycaverte@yahoo.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: error
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 01:25:00 -0000	[thread overview]

jay caverte wrote:

> can you tell me what i have to do? ive read the
> installation manual, and it does say that you have to
> out gcc or cc in your path first but i don't know how
> to do it. Thank you

What you currently have is the source code to gcc.  In order to build
something from source code requires a compiler, and gcc is no
different.  So without already having an existing compiler installed,
the gcc source code is useless.  But you probably do not want or need to
actually build gcc from scratch this way; if your end goal is to have a
working compiler then install gcc through the packages that your
vendor/distro/operating system provides.

Brian