* Re: GNU GCC -m32 Problem?
       [not found]     ` <4348dea50710281608j4e53ca49nee5e0c2c7545456d@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-10-29 16:08       ` Joseph North
From: Joseph North @ 2007-10-29 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely
  Cc: gcc-help, gcc, karuottu, randi, Elwood C. Downey, Danny Dineen,
	Lance Lee, marymkd

On 10/28/07, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >    Thank you!
> >    I'll try to check into the details when I get back home, and let you know
> > more.
> >    I thought the entire GCC suite (x86_64 version) installed OK.  I believe
> > I just need that suite for "-m32" to work OK.
>
> No, you also need to install the 32-bit glibc-devel package before you
> can link 32-bit applications on the 64-bit system. For FC6 this would
> be glibc-devel-2.5-18.fc6.i386.rpm
>
> Your question is off-topic on the gcc mailing list, which is for
> discussion of development *of* GCC, not *with* GCC.  For help using
> the compiler you should use gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org so please follow up
> there (although I'm not sure your question is related to Motif or GCC
> but just a system not set up for what you want to do)
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon

Dear Jon:

   Thanks a lot, ~ "gcc -m32 . . " worked!
   However, then, I got,

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible ../../libastro/libastro.a when
searching for -lastro
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lastro
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xephem] Error 1
[root@sco xephem]# ll

.
   Mayday, Veuillez M'Aider, s'il vous plait!
   Tempus fugit et ad augusta per angusta.

                  Nil desparare (Gauss),

                  Joseph Roy D. North
                  Le        Roi  Du Nord
                  3220 Duval Road, Apt. 1110
                  Austin, TX 78759-3524, USA

Scientia est Potentia!

I Prefer Pi (a palindrome)!

* Re: GNU GCC -m32 Problem?
@ 2007-10-29 16:16         ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2007-10-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph North; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, gcc-help

Joseph North wrote:

>> Your question is off-topic on the gcc mailing list, which is for
>> discussion of development *of* GCC, not *with* GCC.
>>
>>    Thanks a lot, ~ "gcc -m32 . . " worked!
>>    However, then, I got,
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible ../../libastro/libastro.a when
>> searching for -lastro
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lastro
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If you insist on cross-posting, you will gain a place in more and more
kill files.
As to the error message, it means that the library path you have
specified probably shows a copy of libastro.a for a different target
(e.g. 64-bit linux), but none matching your -m32 target.  Supposing you
built it yourself with -m64, the reason should be evident.

---AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM)---

* Re: GNU GCC -m32 Problem?
@ 2007-10-30  1:30         ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2007-10-30  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph North; +Cc: gcc-help

Joseph North wrote:
> Dear Jon:
>

>    Thanks a lot, ~ "gcc -m32 . . " worked!
>    However, then, I got,
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible ../../libastro/libastro.a when
> searching for -lastro
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lastro

A search via Google for 'libastro.a' told this library being a part of
the "XEphem" you mentioned,
so the library you have maybe was made as 64-bit...  The 'file',
'objdump -p' etc commands would
tell what this is...

I don't know anything about "Xephem", so if producing this library was
one part of the Xephem build
process, then that '-m32' for some reason was not transferred to its
compile and then you should check
why the library was made as a 64-bit one...

Maybe a :

   CC="gcc -m32" ; export CC

would be required in the environment in order to get a 32-bit library....