* About a paradox of post increment operator
@ 2007-12-10  1:13 孙宗君
From: 孙宗君 @ 2007-12-10  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, all

I am not sure whether this is a proper place to put up with my
question. But I think you can answer my question.

See following two clauses

int x=20, y=35, z;

case 1: x = x++ + y++;
case 2: z = x++ + y++;

in case 1. the result is x = 36;
in case2:  the result is z = 35;

Whether this is a paradox for post increment operator ?

Look forward to your kindly answers.

Thanks very much.

BRs

Zongjun.

* Re: About a paradox of post increment operator
@ 2007-12-10  1:58 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2007-12-10  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 孙宗君; +Cc: gcc-help

孙宗君 wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I am not sure whether this is a proper place to put up with my
> question. But I think you can answer my question.
>
> See following two clauses
>
> int x=20, y=35, z;
>
> case 1: x = x++ + y++;
> case 2: z = x++ + y++;
>
> in case 1. the result is x = 36;
> in case2:  the result is z = 35;
>
> Whether this is a paradox for post increment operator ?

comp.lang.c FAQ applies.  case 1 invokes Undefined Behavior.    For case
2, stuff you haven't shown must be affecting your result.