From: Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>
To: Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org, Tim Prince <tprince@computer.org>
Subject: Re: Should I be able to build cross gcc 4.x on Cygwin?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Rick Mann wrote:

> Well, after much pain to get an authoritative answer, the best I was
> able to do was a minor variant on this:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2007-06/msg00230.html
>
> The relevant part:
>
> $ mkdir combined
> $ cd combined
> $ ln -s ../gcc-4.2.2/* .
> $ ln -s ../binutils-2.17/* .
> [several complaints from ln about existing links]
> $ ln -s ../newlib-1.15.0/* .
> [several complaints from ln about existing links]
> $ cd ../..
> $ mkdir testbuild
> $ cd testbuild
> $ ../src/combined/configure --target=xscale-elf --disable-nls --with-
> newlib --prefix=/usr/local/xscale-elf-gcc --disable-newlib-supplied-
> syscalls

I don't like that method at all, because it does not actually combine
anything, it simply takes the include/ dir from whatever tree you last
linked it to.  In this case it looks like the include from newlib wins,
but it's not recent enough.  You want to actually combine the contents
of all the include dirs in each package, not just select one.

Try the method here instead: <http://gcc.gnu.org/simtest-howto.html>.
This uses cpio to create hard links in the combined tree, which really
does create a union of the trees, rather than simply picking one version
of each directory to use.

Brian