* Help!!! build failed for GCC-3.2.3
@ 2008-03-21 17:06 se7en_hills
From: se7en_hills @ 2008-03-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,
      My Operating system is Windows-xp-sp2. I used gcc-3.2.3 to build
cygwin on my machine.
The GCC files are in f:\project\gcc-3.2.3

i created a gcc_build folder in ..project/ and while i was inside that
folder,the cmd used is

$f:/project/gcc-3.2.3/configure
it showed like
configuring for i686-pc-cygwin host....

after configuring,

Administrator@lakshmih-588bf4 /cygdrive/f/project/gcc_build
$ make all-gcc
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.in', needed by `Makefile'.
Stop.

So,i'm stuck at this point. I'm just a beginner, Please help me in solving
this issue.

Thanks and regards,
Karthik

* RE: Help!!! build failed for GCC-3.2.3
@ 2008-03-21 17:33 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2008-03-21 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'se7en_hills', gcc-help

se7en_hills wrote:

> $f:/project/gcc-3.2.3/configure

I'm not a cygwin guru but I suspect this is the problem. Try using "/cygdrive/f/project" here too rather than "f:/project".

I'd guess the path with the f: is getting written into the Makefile as the path to the GCC source directory and it's only cygwin shells that understand the f: syntax.

Rup.

* Re: Help!!! build failed for GCC-3.2.3
@ 2008-03-22  0:26   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2008-03-22  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood; +Cc: 'se7en_hills', gcc-help

Rupert Wood wrote:
> se7en_hills wrote:
>
>> $f:/project/gcc-3.2.3/configure
>
> I'm not a cygwin guru but I suspect this is the problem. Try using "/cygdrive/f/project" here too rather than "f:/project".
>
> I'd guess the path with the f: is getting written into the Makefile as the path to the GCC source directory and it's only cygwin shells that understand the f: syntax.

It's possible "7" has run into the situation where
export HOME=/cygdrive/f/project/gcc-3.2.3/
will help.
Reference to the options required/supported in cygwin gcc builds would help.
It's also important to decide on the objective.  Re-building all of cygwin
with a compiler older than the usual one could be an endless task.  So
could building all languages of a version of gcc older than the one used
to build cygwin, while attempting (default) options not supported for
cygwin, possibly without installing the prerequisite components.

* Re: Help!!! build failed for GCC-3.2.3
@ 2008-03-22 15:05     ` se7en_hills
From: se7en_hills @ 2008-03-22 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Sir,
I tried with gcc-4.1.2 to build and after i configure,it ended up showing
the following error message

Administrator@lakshmih-588bf4 /cygdrive/c
$ cd gcc_build

Administrator@lakshmih-588bf4 /cygdrive/c/gcc_build
$ make
cd /cygdrive/c/gcc-4.1.2 && autogen Makefile.def
/cygdrive/c/djgpp/tmp/dj100000: line 1: autogen: command not found
make.exe: *** [/cygdrive/c/gcc-4.1.2/Makefile.in] Error 127

The source is in C:/gcc-4.1.2
and i created a folder named gcc_build to build.

Thanks and regards,
karthik

@ 2008-03-23  4:18       ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2008-03-23  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: se7en_hills; +Cc: gcc-help

se7en_hills wrote:
> Sir,
> I tried with gcc-4.1.2 to build and after i configure,it ended up showing
> the following error message
>
> Administrator@lakshmih-588bf4 /cygdrive/c
> $ cd gcc_build
>
> Administrator@lakshmih-588bf4 /cygdrive/c/gcc_build
> $ make
> cd /cygdrive/c/gcc-4.1.2 && autogen Makefile.def
> /cygdrive/c/djgpp/tmp/dj100000: line 1: autogen: command not found
> make.exe: *** [/cygdrive/c/gcc-4.1.2/Makefile.in] Error 127
>
> The source is in C:/gcc-4.1.2
> and i created a folder named gcc_build to build.
> .
You must run configure in the build directory, with a suitable group of
options (default is unsuitable).
I don't think many people are trying 4.1 on cygwin, since apparently there
is no hope of it ever inheriting cygwin specific traits.
autogen not found is normal, but the build should find a working choice of
tools.