* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-13 13:53 Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

At 18.28 21/11/01 (GMT +0000), J P wrote:
>has anyone else dealt with files that seem to have inappriopriately set
>pathnames? i mena that the files are called missing while they are
>resident inthe oject directory instead of the source directory, aside
>fromt hat everything is the same.

for example ?

fwyzard

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-30 17:25   ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-30 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

>hal.net.brandeis.edu 41: ld -V
>92453-07 linker command s800.sgs ld PA64 B.11.18 REL 000922
>ld: 92453-07 linker linker ld B.11.18 000922
>ld: Usage:  ld [options] [flags] files
>hal.net.brandeis.edu 42:
>
>for some reason i get hte feeling that means it's still looking at the HP
>ones. if i'm right, then how do i switch over to the gnubinutils?
>(gnubinutils were made into the directory "gnubinutils-2.11.2" which has
>path "/software/gnubinutils-2.11.2")

The for sure don't look like GNU binutils (which ld say something like
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.8 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.8)

I'm not sure anout binutils and make, but if they behave like gcc yuo
should have made a "make install" after "make".
If so, add the directory where you installed those BEFORE the directory
where the HP are in your PATH and configure gcc with
.../configure ... -with-gnu-as -with-gnu-ld

Or, if you just want to use the GNU binutils for compiling gcc, you can
configure it with
.../configure ... -with-gnu-as="full path to gnu as"/as -with-gnu-ld="full
path to wgnu ld"/ld

>if i'm right and those aren't the gnubinutils, then after i set them up,
>since i've gone through about a dozen tries with the "gmake bootstrap"
>command, should i simply reconfigure, or should i remove the current
>object directory and start over so that i can make complete use of the gnu
>binutils instead of partial use? one of the things i came across doing
>this said that the hp make corrupts a lot of the gnu things, which is why
>it said not only to use gmake, but preferably one that was made ignoring
>any resident make on an hpux machine.

I'm not sure if deleting it all is necessary - maybe "make clean" is enough
- but it sure won't harm. So, my advice is, use a new direcotry and
configure/make from scratch.

HTH

>thanx for all the help so far.

You're welcome :-)
fwyzard

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-29  9:36 ` J P
From: J P @ 2001-11-29  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci <fwyzard@inwind.it>
>To: "J P" <buttermaker@hotmail.com>,gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>Subject: Re: "missing files"
>Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:48:06 +0100
>
>At 17.21 28/11/01 (GMT +0000), you wrote:
>>that is what i have done. thank you for trying though.
>>i have successfully ported the latest gnu binutils and gmake. so i know it
>>has them to use. i followed the 11.00 instructions and it worked fine. if
>>someone from gnu is watching they should add that to the installs instead
>>of saying that it has never been tried. in order to avoid corruption witht
>>he make, i used the method for those that don't have a make.
>>
>>my first thought is that something was wrong with one of those, but the
>>gmake i had to put in the path, and it works once i put it there.
>>
>>unless the gnu binutils installed incorrectly and it's using the hp
>>inherent ones. could that be it? if so, how do i check that the
>>gnubinutils are installed and pointed to the dir i installed them to from
>>where they need pointers? i thought the readme said it places them.
>
>I don't think this could be a binutils problem, as cpp is a part of gcc.
>Anyway, t osee if the binutils your are using are one you installed, you
>could make
>ld -V
>and see what the answer is.

hal.net.brandeis.edu 41: ld -V
92453-07 linker command s800.sgs ld PA64 B.11.18 REL 000922
ld: 92453-07 linker linker ld B.11.18 000922
ld: Usage:  ld [options] [flags] files
hal.net.brandeis.edu 42:

for some reason i get hte feeling that means it's still looking at the HP
ones. if i'm right, then how do i switch over to the gnubinutils?
(gnubinutils were made into the directory "gnubinutils-2.11.2" which has
path "/software/gnubinutils-2.11.2")

>GNU ld should tell what version it is along with the supporte targets it
>has been built for.
>
>I was wondering - did you installed gmake and the binutils befor
>configuring gcc, right ?

yeah, i did the gmake, then configured binutils so that i could use gmake to
make them, then confired (and am no trying to make) the gcc.

>You might want to re-configure (in the same place, with the same options)
>just to grab the output. I should mention what ersion of the various tools
>will be used to build gcc.
>
>fwyzard

if i'm right and those aren't the gnubinutils, then after i set them up,
since i've gone through about a dozen tries with the "gmake bootstrap"
command, should i simply reconfigure, or should i remove the current object
directory and start over so that i can make complete use of the gnu binutils
instead of partial use? one of the things i came across doing this said that
the hp make corrupts a lot of the gnu things, which is why it said not only
to use gmake, but preferably one that was made ignoring any resident make on
an hpux machine.

thanx for all the help so far.

-Josh

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-28 14:48   ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

@ 2001-11-28  9:21 ` J P
From: J P @ 2001-11-28  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fwyzard; +Cc: gcc-help

that is what i have done. thank you for trying though.
i have successfully ported the latest gnu binutils and gmake. so i know it
has them to use. i followed the 11.00 instructions and it worked fine. if
someone from gnu is watching they should add that to the installs instead of
saying that it has never been tried. in order to avoid corruption witht he
make, i used the method for those that don't have a make.

my first thought is that something was wrong with one of those, but the
gmake i had to put in the path, and it works once i put it there.

unless the gnu binutils installed incorrectly and it's using the hp inherent
ones. could that be it? if so, how do i check that the gnubinutils are
installed and pointed to the dir i installed them to from where they need
pointers? i thought the readme said it places them.

*******************
Joh Perlmutter
NOC "intern"
Brandeis University

>From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci <fwyzard@inwind.it>
>To: "J P" <buttermaker@hotmail.com>,
>Subject: Re: "missing files"
>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:02:39 +0100
>

>>hal.net.brandeis.edu 48: ../make-3.79.1/make bootstrap >makeboot.log
>>cpp: "fixlib.h", line 30: error 4036: Can't open include file 'config.h'.
>>
>>#include "auto-host.h"
>>#include "ansidecl.h"
>>#include "config.h"
>>#include "system.h"
>>
>>that line from the file calling config.h shows that it's looking for it in
>>/software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/
>>
>>logically possible files are:
>>
>>hal.net.brandeis.edu 26: du -a | grep config.h | more
>>14      ./gcc301/libiberty/config.h
>>2       ./gcc301/gcc/config.h
>
>I've never stumbled in this before.
From what I see, you should have put the gcc 3.0.1 sources in
>   /software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/
>and configured in
>   ./gcc301
>with
>   /software/gcc-3.0.1/configure <configure options>
>
>Then, you should be building in
>   ./gcc301
>with
>   make bootstrap
>.
>
>If this is what you have done (that is, I assume you are not trying to
>build in the source rather than in the configure directory), I don't know
>what may be wrong.
>
>Sorry for not being of more help
>fwyzard

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-26 14:03   ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-26 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

>hal.net.brandeis.edu 48: ../make-3.79.1/make bootstrap >makeboot.log
>cpp: "fixlib.h", line 30: error 4036: Can't open include file 'config.h'.
>
>#include "auto-host.h"
>#include "ansidecl.h"
>#include "config.h"
>#include "system.h"
>
>that line from the file calling config.h shows that it's looking for it in
>/software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/
>
>logically possible files are:
>
>hal.net.brandeis.edu 26: du -a | grep config.h | more
>14      ./gcc301/libiberty/config.h
>2       ./gcc301/gcc/config.h

I've never stumbled in this before.
 From what I see, you should have put the gcc 3.0.1 sources in

@ 2001-11-26  9:40 ` J P
From: J P @ 2001-11-26  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci <fwyzard@inwind.it>
>To: "J P" <buttermaker@hotmail.com>,gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>Subject: Re: "missing files"
>Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:26:23 +0100
>
>At 18.28 21/11/01 (GMT +0000), J P wrote:
>>has anyone else dealt with files that seem to have inappriopriately set
>>pathnames? i mena that the files are called missing while they are
>>resident inthe oject directory instead of the source directory, aside
>>fromt hat everything is the same.
>

>for example ?

hal.net.brandeis.edu 48: ../make-3.79.1/make bootstrap >makeboot.log
cpp: "fixlib.h", line 30: error 4036: Can't open include file 'config.h'.

#include "auto-host.h"
#include "ansidecl.h"
#include "config.h"
#include "system.h"

that line from the file calling config.h shows that it's looking for it in
/software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/

logically possible files are:

hal.net.brandeis.edu 26: du -a | grep config.h | more
14      ./gcc301/libiberty/config.h
2       ./gcc301/gcc/config.h

>fwyzard

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-24  8:18 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-24  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

>hal.net.brandeis.edu 41: ld -V
>92453-07 linker command s800.sgs ld PA64 B.11.18 REL 000922
>ld: 92453-07 linker linker ld B.11.18 000922
>ld: Usage:  ld [options] [flags] files
>hal.net.brandeis.edu 42:
>
>for some reason i get hte feeling that means it's still looking at the HP
>ones. if i'm right, then how do i switch over to the gnubinutils?
>(gnubinutils were made into the directory "gnubinutils-2.11.2" which has
>path "/software/gnubinutils-2.11.2")

The for sure don't look like GNU binutils (which ld say something like
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.8 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.8)

I'm not sure anout binutils and make, but if they behave like gcc yuo
should have made a "make install" after "make".
If so, add the directory where you installed those BEFORE the directory
where the HP are in your PATH and configure gcc with
.../configure ... -with-gnu-as -with-gnu-ld

Or, if you just want to use the GNU binutils for compiling gcc, you can
configure it with
.../configure ... -with-gnu-as="full path to gnu as"/as -with-gnu-ld="full
path to wgnu ld"/ld

>if i'm right and those aren't the gnubinutils, then after i set them up,
>since i've gone through about a dozen tries with the "gmake bootstrap"
>command, should i simply reconfigure, or should i remove the current
>object directory and start over so that i can make complete use of the gnu
>binutils instead of partial use? one of the things i came across doing
>this said that the hp make corrupts a lot of the gnu things, which is why
>it said not only to use gmake, but preferably one that was made ignoring
>any resident make on an hpux machine.

I'm not sure if deleting it all is necessary - maybe "make clean" is enough
- but it sure won't harm. So, my advice is, use a new direcotry and
configure/make from scratch.

HTH

>thanx for all the help so far.

You're welcome :-)
fwyzard

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-22 14:26 J P
From: J P @ 2001-11-22 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2001-11-21 23:16 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-21 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

@ 2001-11-21 20:01 J P
From: J P @ 2001-11-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fwyzard; +Cc: gcc-help

that is what i have done. thank you for trying though.
i have successfully ported the latest gnu binutils and gmake. so i know it
has them to use. i followed the 11.00 instructions and it worked fine. if
someone from gnu is watching they should add that to the installs instead of
saying that it has never been tried. in order to avoid corruption witht he
make, i used the method for those that don't have a make.

my first thought is that something was wrong with one of those, but the
gmake i had to put in the path, and it works once i put it there.

unless the gnu binutils installed incorrectly and it's using the hp inherent
ones. could that be it? if so, how do i check that the gnubinutils are
installed and pointed to the dir i installed them to from where they need
pointers? i thought the readme said it places them.

*******************
Joh Perlmutter
NOC "intern"
Brandeis University

>From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci <fwyzard@inwind.it>
>To: "J P" <buttermaker@hotmail.com>,
>Subject: Re: "missing files"
>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:02:39 +0100
>

>>hal.net.brandeis.edu 48: ../make-3.79.1/make bootstrap >makeboot.log
>>cpp: "fixlib.h", line 30: error 4036: Can't open include file 'config.h'.
>>
>>#include "auto-host.h"
>>#include "ansidecl.h"
>>#include "config.h"
>>#include "system.h"
>>
>>that line from the file calling config.h shows that it's looking for it in
>>/software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/
>>
>>logically possible files are:
>>
>>hal.net.brandeis.edu 26: du -a | grep config.h | more
>>14      ./gcc301/libiberty/config.h
>>2       ./gcc301/gcc/config.h
>
>I've never stumbled in this before.
From what I see, you should have put the gcc 3.0.1 sources in
>   /software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/
>and configured in
>   ./gcc301
>with
>   /software/gcc-3.0.1/configure <configure options>
>
>Then, you should be building in
>   ./gcc301
>with
>   make bootstrap
>.
>
>If this is what you have done (that is, I assume you are not trying to
>build in the source rather than in the configure directory), I don't know
>what may be wrong.
>
>Sorry for not being of more help
>fwyzard

* Re: "missing files"
@ 2001-11-19 16:49 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J P, gcc-help

>hal.net.brandeis.edu 48: ../make-3.79.1/make bootstrap >makeboot.log
>cpp: "fixlib.h", line 30: error 4036: Can't open include file 'config.h'.
>
>#include "auto-host.h"
>#include "ansidecl.h"
>#include "config.h"
>#include "system.h"
>
>that line from the file calling config.h shows that it's looking for it in
>/software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/
>
>logically possible files are:
>
>hal.net.brandeis.edu 26: du -a | grep config.h | more
>14      ./gcc301/libiberty/config.h
>2       ./gcc301/gcc/config.h

I've never stumbled in this before.
 From what I see, you should have put the gcc 3.0.1 sources in

@ 2001-11-19 16:35 J P
From: J P @ 2001-11-19 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci <fwyzard@inwind.it>
>To: "J P" <buttermaker@hotmail.com>,gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>Subject: Re: "missing files"
>Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:26:23 +0100
>
>At 18.28 21/11/01 (GMT +0000), J P wrote:
>>has anyone else dealt with files that seem to have inappriopriately set
>>pathnames? i mena that the files are called missing while they are
>>resident inthe oject directory instead of the source directory, aside
>>fromt hat everything is the same.
>

>for example ?

hal.net.brandeis.edu 48: ../make-3.79.1/make bootstrap >makeboot.log
cpp: "fixlib.h", line 30: error 4036: Can't open include file 'config.h'.

#include "auto-host.h"
#include "ansidecl.h"
#include "config.h"
#include "system.h"

that line from the file calling config.h shows that it's looking for it in
/software/gcc-3.0.1/gcc/

logically possible files are:

hal.net.brandeis.edu 26: du -a | grep config.h | more
14      ./gcc301/libiberty/config.h
2       ./gcc301/gcc/config.h

>fwyzard

* "missing files"