* Description warnings
@ 2008-07-31 11:12 Kastil
From: Kastil @ 2008-07-31 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

Is there any description of all possible warning that gcc can produce? I
would like to found some document, when all warning would be described
instead of constantly searching through Internet.
Thank for all suggestions

Jan

* Re: Description warnings
@ 2008-07-31 11:31 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2008-07-31 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kastil, GCC-help

Hi Jan,

To get a definitive list, using grep (or perl or your favorite text-scraping
tool) on the GCC source code (for the version of GCC you are interested in)
would be one way to produce a reliably complete list of warnings.

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Description warnings
@ 2008-07-31 15:33   ` Kastil
From: Kastil @ 2008-07-31 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen, GCC-help

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:03:58 +0200, Eljay Love-Jensen <eljay@adobe.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> To get a definitive list, using grep (or perl or your favorite
> text-scraping
> tool) on the GCC source code (for the version of GCC you are interested
> in)
> would be one way to produce a reliably complete list of warnings.
>
> HTH,
> --Eljay

Hi,
I was hoping for something which will describe these warnings. Some think
that will tell me what I have done wrong in my program and why gcc
produced this warning.
Now when gcc writes me some warning I spend a lot of time trying to figure
out, what I have done wrong (or what could be done better). I am looking
for something that could reduce this time.

Thank for your answer.

Jan

* Re: Description warnings
@ 2008-07-31 17:07     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-07-31 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kastil; +Cc: GCC-help

Kastil wrote:

> I was hoping for something which will describe these warnings.

Most diagnostics have a command line switch that can be used to enable
or disable them, and each is documented in the manual:

<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Warning-Options.html>

Note that this node only documents generic options, there are also
language-specific options:

<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C_002b_002b-Dialect-Options.html>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Invocation.html>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/Error-and-Warning-Options.html>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/Warnings.html>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Objective_002dC-and-Objective_002dC_002b_002b-Dialect-Options.html>

If you're using a recent version of gcc (>= 4.2.x I believe) you can use
-fdiagnostics-show-option to have the compiler tell you the name of the
-Wfoo option corresponding to each diagnostic it prints -- for those
that are controllable by an option.

> Some think
> that will tell me what I have done wrong in my program and why gcc
> produced this warning.

But that is a very different prospect.  It's one thing to document in
general terms the intent behind a given diagnostic, but it's a very
different thing to apply that to a specific instance of a warning in a
specific piece of code.  There is no way that any document is ever going
to be able to tell you with specificity what each message means in the
context of your code.  That requires knowledge of your code, knowledge
of the relevant ISO language standards, and knowledge of the compiler.

> Now when gcc writes me some warning I spend a lot of time trying to figure
> out, what I have done wrong (or what could be done better). I am looking

Try the relevant C and C++ FAQs:

<http://c-faq.com/>
<http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/>

Brian