* Suppressing particular warnings for particular lines of code
@ 2008-12-01 10:11 Yang Zhang
From: Yang Zhang @ 2008-12-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC-help

In Java, you can insert @SuppressWarnings(...) annotations before a line
to tell javac to suppress certain warnings for that line.  Is there
anything similar for gcc?
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/

* Re: Suppressing particular warnings for particular lines of code
@ 2008-12-04  5:53 ` Yang Zhang
From: Yang Zhang @ 2008-12-04  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC-help

Yang Zhang wrote:
> In Java, you can insert @SuppressWarnings(...) annotations before a line
> to tell javac to suppress certain warnings for that line.  Is there
> anything similar for gcc?

Anyone?

* Re: Suppressing particular warnings for particular lines of code
@ 2008-12-04 12:15   ` John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
From: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen @ 2008-12-04 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang Zhang, GCC-help

Hi Yang,

>> In Java, you can insert @SuppressWarnings(...) annotations before a line
>> to tell javac to suppress certain warnings for that line.  Is there
>> anything similar for gcc?

> Anyone?

For gcc, there are the compile line switches, such as -Wall, -Wextra, and
other -Wsomething which enable (or using -Wno-something, disable) the
warning.

There are no #pragma directives to disable warnings in-line with the code.

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Suppressing particular warnings for particular lines of code
@ 2008-12-04 19:47     ` Yang Zhang
From: Yang Zhang @ 2008-12-04 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen; +Cc: GCC-help

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen wrote:
> Hi Yang,
>
>>> In Java, you can insert @SuppressWarnings(...) annotations before a line
>>> to tell javac to suppress certain warnings for that line.  Is there
>>> anything similar for gcc?
>
>> Anyone?
>
> For gcc, there are the compile line switches, such as -Wall, -Wextra, and
> other -Wsomething which enable (or using -Wno-something, disable) the
> warning.

Yeah, I know about these - they only apply to the entire source file,
whereas I'm interested in disabling warnings for particular lines.

> There are no #pragma directives to disable warnings in-line with the code.

I sense an itch here - write a grep-like tool that can filter out
warnings from gcc based on the presence of certain tokens in your source
file.  For instance, inserting

   // SuppressWarning(conversion)

into your source should cause the tool to filter out -Wconversion
warnings for the following line.

Have to think/experiment more about how to deal with multi-line
statements, though - not sure how gcc numbers lines in its warnings.
Also, this still won't work with -Werror (which is something I use), as
gcc itself will refuse to continue with the compilation.
--

@ 2008-12-04 20:15       ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-12-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang Zhang; +Cc: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen, GCC-help

Yang Zhang wrote:

> > There are no #pragma directives to disable warnings in-line with the code.
>
> I sense an itch here - write a grep-like tool that can filter out
> warnings from gcc based on the presence of certain tokens in your source
> file.  For instance, inserting

From 4.2 and on gcc does support a form of #pragma control of
diagnostics, see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Diagnostic-Pragmas.html>.  However it
doesn't work the way you probably want, in that the setting is for the
whole file, not per-function.  I think per-function support was in fact
part of the original plan but I don't know that anyone is currently
working on it.

Brian