* Problems with DWARF debug info and GCC 4.3.2
@ 2009-01-22 14:29 Sebastian Huber
From: Sebastian Huber @ 2009-01-22 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I use GCC cross compilers from the RTEMS project. They differ only in nuances
from the official releases.  Between GCC version 4.2.4 and 4.3.2 something
changed in the DWARF debug info. I am unsure if this is cause for trouble. I
tested it with the PowerPC and m68k architectures. Here is the test program
source (test.cpp):

#include <iostream>

extern "C" {

void _start()
{
	/* VOID */

Command line:

powerpc-4.3.2-g++ test.cpp test.cpp -otest-4.3.2.elf
powerpc-4.2.4-g++ test.cpp test.cpp -otest-4.2.4.elf

Inspection of the resulting ELF-file with objdump produces the following
warnings and errors (samples):

objdump -W test-4.3.2.elf > /dev/null

objdump: Warning: There is a hole [0x28e82 - 0x28e8d] in .debug_loc section.

objdump: Error: Range lists in .debug_info section aren't in ascending order!

objdump: Warning: Range lists in .debug_ranges section start at 0x670

objdump: Warning: There is an overlap [0x6a8 - 0x0] in .debug_ranges section.

objdump -W test-4.2.4.elf > /dev/null

objdump: Warning: There is a hole [0x354a2 - 0x354ad] in .debug_loc section.

In the version 4.3.2 there are more warnings and an error. The background is
that we have problems to debug applications compiled with the version 4.3.2 due
to invalid line number informations. I am unsure if the above warnings and
errors are connected to this.

Have a nice day!

	Sebastian Huber

--
Sebastian Huber, Embedded Brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de
PGP     : Public key available on request

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-01-22 14:29 UTC | newest]