* arm literal pool
@ 2009-09-15 17:09 ranjith kumar
From: ranjith kumar @ 2009-09-15 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwarf-discuss, gcc-help, gdb

Hi,

1)   Given an ARM executable, how to know weather a given address
contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal pool' ??

2) What happens when we strip that binary?  Can we still determine
whether given address contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal
pool'?

3)Can    libelf/libdwarf libraries  determine  whether given address
contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal pool'  even after that
library has been stripped? Where can I find sample programs which uses
libelf/libdwarf libraries and will tell  whether given address
contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal pool' ?

4) How debuggers build control flow graph from an executable, when
'literal pool' appears in between 'instructions'?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: arm literal pool
@ 2009-09-16  9:50 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2009-09-16  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ranjith kumar; +Cc: gcc-help

ranjith kumar wrote:

> 1)   Given an ARM executable, how to know weather a given address
> contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal pool' ??

You can't, as they're interspersed.  The best you can hope to do is
track the control flow from the entry point.

> 2) What happens when we strip that binary?  Can we still determine
> whether given address contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal
> pool'?
>
> 3)Can    libelf/libdwarf libraries  determine  whether given address
> contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal pool'  even after that
> library has been stripped? Where can I find sample programs which uses
> libelf/libdwarf libraries and will tell  whether given address
> contains  an 'arm instruction' or 'literal pool' ?
>
> 4) How debuggers build control flow graph from an executable, when
> 'literal pool' appears in between 'instructions'?

Start from the entry point, and find everything reachable.

Andrew.