From: Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@wippies.com>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Cross compiler questions
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 19.3.2010 11:30, Kai Ruottu wrote:

> Ok, in your case the build process would be :
>
> 1. build and install binutils, "make ; make install"
> 2. build and install ONLY GCC, "make all-gcc ; make install-gcc"
> 3. possibly build and install 'libgcc', "make all-target-libgcc : make
> install-target-libgcc"

A typo, a colon instead of a semicolon in the previous step 3....

In order to check that the previous simple process, maybe told tens of
times on maillists during
the last 15+ years, still works, I followed it strictly, after
configuring, building and installing the
GNU binutils with the defaults, I configured, built and installed the
current gcc-4.4.3 srcs with
the following (template) script :

../gcc-4.4.3/configure --build=i686-linux-gnu --host=i686-linux-gnu \
--target=ppc-eabi --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-shared \
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/local/include/c++/4.4.3 \
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-newlib \
--with-pkgversion="by Kai Ruottu 2010q1"
#
make all-gcc
make all-target-libgcc
make install-gcc
make install-target-libgcc

The '--disable-shared' may now be vain, earlier there was a bug which
tried to use the shared
'libgcc_s.so.1' with some '*-elf' targets.  The default for the (IF
being built) place for C++ headers
is now "target specific", not the earlier "common for all targets", the
next option restores it. Also
as default the 'libstdc++' libs would be installed
gcc-version-independently into the '$prefix/$target/lib',
therefore the next option. Building another GCC version later for the
same target would overwrite
the gcc-version-specific 'libstdc++.a's.  The '--with-newlib' also
belongs to this "generic build template"
and the last tells who to sue if something doesn't work....  Generally
the '--enable-languages=c,c++'
could be enough as the only extra configure option.

There was absolutely no problems in the process, I used the last
binutils-2.19.51 release for the
binutils....