* Re: -mtune option for Intel Nehalem
@ 2010-04-13  1:47 Rayne
From: Rayne @ 2010-04-13  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I mostly just want to know if an option is avaliable for the Nehalem processors. If it happens that the newest version of GCC has such an option, then I can always upgrade to that version. I believe that Barcelona is an AMD processor, so I'm confused as to how that would work for an Intel Nehalem processor. As for -mtune=nocona, I've tried and there was no performance gain.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne

@ 2010-04-13  6:57 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2010-04-13  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 4/12/2010 6:47 PM, Rayne wrote:
> I mostly just want to know if an option is avaliable for the Nehalem processors. If it happens that the newest version of GCC has such an option, then I can always upgrade to that version. I believe that Barcelona is an AMD processor, so I'm confused as to how that would work for an Intel Nehalem processor. As for -mtune=nocona, I've tried and there was no performance gain.

Barcelona was the first of the recent CPUs which benefited consistently
from 128-bit moves, aligned or unaligned, and Nehalem continued the
trend. Hence the recommendation of the same option, if you are using
auto-vectorization.  With current gcc, you could add -msse4.2 if you are
hoping occasionally to generate code specific to Nehalem.

* Re: -mtune option for Intel Nehalem
@ 2010-04-12 12:56 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2010-04-12 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help