* Error in Gcov for ARM
@ 2011-09-20  5:14 Harry Trinta
From: Harry Trinta @ 2011-09-20  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear,

I am having a problem when compiling a program with options
-ftest-coverage and -fprofile-arcs to run on an embedded system with
ARM processor.
I'm using a GCC cross-compiler (arm-elf) to compile the program.

The errors is as follows:

- undefined reference to `__gcov_merge_add'
- undefined reference to `__gcov_init'

is there any restriction on the use of these parameters for this type
of processor?

Thanks

* Re: Error in Gcov for ARM
@ 2011-09-20  7:46 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-09-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Trinta; +Cc: gcc-help

On 20 September 2011 06:13, Harry Trinta wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I am having a problem when compiling a program with options
> -ftest-coverage and -fprofile-arcs to run on an embedded system with
> ARM processor.
> I'm using a GCC cross-compiler (arm-elf) to compile the program.
>
> The errors is as follows:
>
> - undefined reference to `__gcov_merge_add'
> - undefined reference to `__gcov_init'
>

> is there any restriction on the use of these parameters for this type
> of processor?

Are you linking with -fprofile-arcs or -lgcov?

* Re: Error in Gcov for ARM
@ 2011-09-20 10:08 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2011-09-20 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

20.9.2011 8:13, Harry Trinta kirjoitti:

> I am having a problem when compiling a program with options
> -ftest-coverage and -fprofile-arcs to run on an embedded system with
> ARM processor.
> I'm using a GCC cross-compiler (arm-elf) to compile the program.
>
> The errors is as follows:
>
> - undefined reference to `__gcov_merge_add'
> - undefined reference to `__gcov_init'
>
> is there any restriction on the use of these parameters for this type
> of processor?

Not for the processor but maybe for the target itself, as you told:
"an embedded system".

So could you please elaborate where the file 'auxname.gcda' or something
would appear :

-fprofile-arcs
   Add code so that program flow arcs are instrumented. During
   execution the program records how many times each branch and
   call is executed and how many times it is taken or returns.
   When the compiled program exits it saves this data to a file
   called ‘auxname.gcda’ for each source file. The data may be
   used for profile-directed optimizations (‘-fbranch-probabilities’),
   or for test coverage analysis (‘-ftest-coverage’). Each object
   fileÂ’s auxname is generated from the name of the output file,
   if explicitly specified and it is not the final executable,
   otherwise it is the basename of the source file. In both cases
   any suffix is removed (e.g. ‘foo.gcda’ for input file ‘dir/foo.c’,
   or ‘dir/foo.gcda’ for output file specified as ‘-o dir/foo.o’).
   See Section 9.5 [Cross-profiling],

As default these files would be written onto the runtime system's
filesystem. What is this with an 'arm-elf' system?

The "cross profiling", what it needs from the standard C library
(implementing the '__gcov_merge_add()' and '__gcov_init()' routines?)
etc. consulting the GCC manual, would be your homework. For instance:

http://sysrun.haifa.il.ibm.com/hrl/greps2007/papers/gcov-on-an-embedded-system.pdf

If the basic prerequisites are ok and you know that they should
work, then you can ask why they however don't work.