* gcc 8.1 + libc.a
@ 2018-10-03 23:31 Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc-help
From: Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc-help @ 2018-10-03 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, gcc; +Cc: Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith]

Hello,
I have successfully installed gcc 8.1 on one system. I had to build the accelerator on the front end, because the compute nodes did not have libc.a.
The build process seems to require a libc.a.
I am now struggling with trying to install it on a different system: Same concept, front end has libc.a, compute nodes don’t. But now I can’t even build the build the accelerator compiler, because of of the missing libc.a. But it lives in /usr/lib64, just like on the other system. Would you have any advise how I can get around this? Thanks in advance,
Gabriele

configure:3016: /nobackup/gcc_nvptx/gcc/build-accel/./gcc/xgcc -B/nobackup//gcc_nvptx/gcc/build-accel/./gcc/ -B/nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/bin/ -B/nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/lib/ -isystem /nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/include -isystem /nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/sys-include    -g -O2   conftest.c -lc >&5
error opening libc.a
configure:3020: $? = 1
configure:3057: result:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "package-unused"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "libbacktrace"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "version-unused"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "package-unused version-unused"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }

* Re: gcc 8.1 + libc.a
@ 2018-10-04  0:00 ` Dmitry Mikushin
From: Dmitry Mikushin @ 2018-10-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith]; +Cc: gcc-help, GCC

First of, "error opening libc.a" message looks highly unusual. It's not the
way ld typically complains about a missing library or wrong architecture.
More likely, here it is rather some gcc-internal lib.a to be deployed in
some special way, but was missing.

I would try two things:
1) Re-iterate the failing conftest manually, appending -v option to show
what underlying ld command is being executed
2) Search for libc.a in the gcc build tree on another server, where the
build was successful.

Good luck,
- Dmitry.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 02:32 Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc <
gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have successfully installed gcc 8.1 on one system. I had to build the
> accelerator on the front end, because the compute nodes did not have libc.a.
> The build process seems to require a libc.a.
> I am now struggling with trying to install it on a different system: Same
> concept, front end has libc.a, compute nodes don’t. But now I can’t even
> build the build the accelerator compiler, because of of the missing libc.a.
> But it lives in /usr/lib64, just like on the other system. Would you have
> any advise how I can get around this? Thanks in advance,
> Gabriele
>

> configure:3016: /nobackup/gcc_nvptx/gcc/build-accel/./gcc/xgcc
> -B/nobackup//gcc_nvptx/gcc/build-accel/./gcc/
> -B/nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/bin/
> -B/nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/lib/ -isystem
> /nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/include -isystem
> /nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/sys-include    -g -O2   conftest.c
> -lc >&5
> error opening libc.a
> configure:3020: $? = 1
> configure:3057: result:
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "package-unused"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "libbacktrace"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "version-unused"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "package-unused version-unused"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> | #define PACKAGE_URL ""
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }

* Re: gcc 8.1 + libc.a
@ 2018-10-04  0:23   ` Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc-help
From: Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc-help @ 2018-10-04  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Mikushin; +Cc: gcc-help, GCC

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Dmitry.
You are indeed correct: There is a libc.a on the system where it build under newlib:

gcc/build-accel/nvptx-none/newlib/libc.a

So, I need to figure out why my newlib did not built.

Thanks so much for this very good pointer!

Gabriele

From: Dmitry Mikushin <dmitry@kernelgen.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 5:00 PM
To: "Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith]" <gabriele.jost@nasa.gov>
Cc: "gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>, GCC <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: gcc 8.1 + libc.a

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 02:32 Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org<mailto:gcc@gcc.gnu.org>> wrote:
Hello,
I have successfully installed gcc 8.1 on one system. I had to build the accelerator on the front end, because the compute nodes did not have libc.a.
The build process seems to require a libc.a.
I am now struggling with trying to install it on a different system: Same concept, front end has libc.a, compute nodes don’t. But now I can’t even build the build the accelerator compiler, because of of the missing libc.a. But it lives in /usr/lib64, just like on the other system. Would you have any advise how I can get around this? Thanks in advance,
Gabriele

configure:3016: /nobackup/gcc_nvptx/gcc/build-accel/./gcc/xgcc -B/nobackup//gcc_nvptx/gcc/build-accel/./gcc/ -B/nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/bin/ -B/nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/lib/ -isystem /nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/include -isystem /nobackup/gcc-8.1.0-install/nvptx-none/sys-include    -g -O2   conftest.c -lc >&5
error opening libc.a
configure:3020: $? = 1
configure:3057: result:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "package-unused"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "libbacktrace"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "version-unused"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "package-unused version-unused"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }

* Re: gcc 8.1 + libc.a
@ 2018-10-04  8:13     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2018-10-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gabriele.jost; +Cc: dmitry, gcc-help, gcc

Please don't cross-post to both gcc@gcc.gnu.org and
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org, it is almost never appropriate to send the same
email to both lists, because they are for discussing different topics.

You're looking for help, so use gcc-help not gcc. Please remove
gcc@gcc.gnulorg from further replies in this thread, thanks

* Re: gcc 8.1 + libc.a
@ 2018-10-04  9:01 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2018-10-04  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 10/04/2018 12:31 AM, Jost, Gabriele (ARC-TNC)[Supersmith] via gcc-help wrote:
> I have successfully installed gcc 8.1 on one system. I had to build the accelerator on the front end, because the compute nodes did not have libc.a.
> The build process seems to require a libc.a.
> I am now struggling with trying to install it on a different system: Same concept, front end has libc.a, compute nodes don’t. But now I can’t even build the build the accelerator compiler, because of of the missing libc.a. But it lives in /usr/lib64, just like on the other system. Would you have any advise how I can get around this? Thanks in advance,

Something is very wrong. You should not need libc.a, and it's almost certainly
not the right thing to do.

Please tell us exactly how you configured, built, and installed GCC.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer