* Graphics programming using gcc
       [not found] <20011109133001.A22680@gnu.org>
@ 2001-11-01  3:38 ` Chetna Warade
       [not found] ` <1458.128.192.2.238.1005586145.squirrel@sunchem.chem.uga.ed u>
From: Chetna Warade @ 2001-11-01  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

 Hi,
 I want to develop  a project for displaying animation.
 I have developed games in C but using turbo C.
 I wanted to know if it is possible to write a C program for graphical
 puroses ( like manipulating pixels and/or windows eg. like it is
 possible to program the pixels using turbo C compiler using a library
 graphics.h). If yes what are the libraries? And what are the functions
 etc used ..or where could be the related material found?
 If it is not possible then what is the front end for developing
 projects in C.
 It would be a great favor to me.
 Kindly reply this email.
 Thanking you
 Chetna.

* RE: Graphics programming using gcc
@ 2001-11-01  3:54   ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-11-01  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chetna Warade'; +Cc: help-gcc

Chetna Warade wrote:

>  I wanted to know if it is possible to write a C program for graphical
>  puroses ( like manipulating pixels and/or windows eg. like it is
>  possible to program the pixels using turbo C compiler using a library
>  graphics.h). If yes what are the libraries?

This isn't really anything to do with the compiler: it's more a platform
specific question. (Borland's graphics library is probably better
considered a bundled library than a compiler feature.)

Whatever you're developing for, it's probably worth looking at
http://www.libsdl.org/. Alternatively, if you meant Windows with a
capital 'W', you can download the DirectX developer's kit from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/.

>  If it is not possible then what is the front end for developing
>  projects in C.

There isn't one attached to the GCC project. However, the same server
hosts Source Navigator (http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/) and
there's probably half a dozen IDEs on http://sourceforge.net/.

Hope that helps,
Rup.

@ 2001-11-01 10:22   ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-01 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chetna Warade; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Chetna,
as Rupert pointed out, it greatly depends on which OS you're going to use.
A good library, supporting both audio and video, available for multiple
OSes, is Allegro (http://sunsite.dk/allegro/wip.html).
The web page says it is available for DOS, Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, Irix,
Solaris), Windows, BeOS, with alpha support for MacOS and QNX.
For Linux, there always is the good old svgalib (http://www.svgalib.org/).
And, if you need 3D, a free and portable choice might be Crystal Space
(http://crystal.linuxgames.com/), supporting various rendering outputs (via
software or hardware accelerated).

Hope to be of any help,
fwyzard