* Re: Elementary problems with gcc 3.0.2 installation
@ 2001-11-13  2:15 Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-13  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

At 11.25 21/11/01 (GMT +0000), you wrote:

>I'm having problems running the " ./configure" command. Each time I try
>running
>it I get a "./configure: not found" error message.

You should not be using configure in the source directory.
You should configure and build gcc in a different directory, separated from
the source tree, eg:

let's say
   ~/src/gcc
is the directory with the gcc sources; you should configure and build in, say,
   ~/src/build
doing:
   cd ~/src/build
   ../gcc/configure [options]

HTH,
fwyzard

* Re: Elementary problems with gcc 3.0.2 installation
@ 2001-11-14  1:00 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-14  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2001-11-12 11:14 kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2001-11-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fwyzard; +Cc: gcc-help

I'm having problems running the " ./configure" command. Each time I try running
it I get a "./configure: not found" error message.

I have checked the file path, and have granted sufficient permissions to run the
script.

Could somebody tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks
Kabir

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

* Re: Elementary problems with gcc 3.0.2 installation
@ 2001-11-08 15:51 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-11-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: gcc-help

>I am intending to install gcc 3.0.2 onto a Solaris 2.8 operating system. I was
>told to download the files needed from
>
>ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/
>
>Could somebody help me with the following questions relating to the
>instructions
>on
>
>http://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html
>
>a) In the instructions it states "The full distribution includes the C, C++,
>Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and CHILL compilers" I only want the C compiler.
>Which files exactly do I need to download to get only the C compiler?

I think ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/gcc-core-3.0.2.tar.gz
will be just fine.

>b) In the instructions it states "If you choose to download specific
>components,
>you must download the core GCC distribution". What does this mean?

This means that if you want, ie. Objective C, you need
ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/gcc-objc-3.0.2.tar.gz IN
ADDITION TO ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/gcc-core-3.0.2.tar.gz.

>c) Is there a specific location for me to download the files (eg. /var, /etc
>....)

No, you can put where you like.

>d) Does "unpacking" mean uncompressing? If so, where should the uncompressed
>files go?

Same as above. Eg:
wget ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0.2/gcc-objc-3.0.2.tar.gz
tar -xvvzf gcc-objc-3.0.2.tar.gz

Then you should configure it to build in a different location, eg:
(after the above)
mkdir build-3.0.2
cd build-3.0.2
../gcc-3.0.2/configure <options>

See http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html and
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html for more infos.

fwyzard

* Elementary problems with gcc 3.0.2 installation
@ 2001-11-08  2:21 kabir.patel