* GCC & binutils & ?
@ 2001-12-07  0:30 Dan Premetz
From: Dan Premetz @ 2001-12-07  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

We use over 10 different compiler sets at work.  One builds on IRIX for
IRIX, another builds on Solaris for Solaris, several are cross-compilers for
embedded systems, etc.  When we build, we pretty much do the same thing
regardless of which compiler we're using:

   1.) We compile source code to object files (gcc, g++)
   2.) We create libs (ar)
   3.) We link everything together to get executables (ld)

I expected that GCC had everything I needed to do the above.  I guess this
is not the case.  What all do I need if I want to do items (1), (2), and
(3)?  I think I'm looking at GCC and binutils, right?  Is there anything
else which would be of interest to someone doing C/C++ software development?

-DLP

* Re: GCC & binutils & ?
@ 2001-12-07  4:05 ` Frank Schafer
From: Frank Schafer @ 2001-12-07  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Premetz; +Cc: gcc-help

Dan Premetz wrote:

> We use over 10 different compiler sets at work.  One builds on IRIX for
> IRIX, another builds on Solaris for Solaris, several are cross-compilers for
> embedded systems, etc.  When we build, we pretty much do the same thing
> regardless of which compiler we're using:
>
>    1.) We compile source code to object files (gcc, g++)
>    2.) We create libs (ar)
>    3.) We link everything together to get executables (ld)
>
> I expected that GCC had everything I needed to do the above.  I guess this
> is not the case.  What all do I need if I want to do items (1), (2), and
> (3)?  I think I'm looking at GCC and binutils, right?  Is there anything
> else which would be of interest to someone doing C/C++ software development?
>
> -DLP

Hi Dan,

there is a lot of INTERESTING stuff ( of course ;o), but gcc and binutils is
sufficient for the tasks you mentioned.

Frank

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Frank Schafer --]

begin:vcard
n:Schafer;Frank
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:SETUZA a.s.;IT
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:frank.schafer@setuza.cz
title:Dipl. Ing.
note:System administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Frank Schafer
end:vcard

* Re: GCC & binutils & ?
@ 2001-12-07  4:33 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-12-07  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Premetz, gcc-help

At 02.30 07/12/01 (GMT -0600), Dan Premetz wrote:

>We use over 10 different compiler sets at work.  One builds on IRIX for
>IRIX, another builds on Solaris for Solaris, several are cross-compilers for
>embedded systems, etc.

You might need newlib when compiling for embedded systems.

>  When we build, we pretty much do the same thing
>regardless of which compiler we're using:
>
>    1.) We compile source code to object files (gcc, g++)
>    2.) We create libs (ar)
>    3.) We link everything together to get executables (ld)
>
>I expected that GCC had everything I needed to do the above.  I guess this
>is not the case.  What all do I need if I want to do items (1), (2), and
>(3)?  I think I'm looking at GCC and binutils, right?  Is there anything
>else which would be of interest to someone doing C/C++ software development?
>
>-DLP

fwyzard