* newlib and the mno-fpu option
@ 2002-01-11  6:41 Terry Hipp
From: Terry Hipp @ 2002-01-11  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I have successfully built a windows hosted cross compiler for a sparc-elf
target.  The embedded sparc target does not have a fpu, so I am compiling it
with the mno-fpu option. A test application can successfully complete float
operations such as floatValue += 0.5; but exceptions when I try to print the
value using
printf("floatValue = %f\r\n", floatValue);  Is it sufficient to compile the
application with the mno-fpu option or does newlib have to be built with
this option as well?

Thanks
Terry

* Re: newlib and the mno-fpu option
@ 2002-01-11 15:30 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2002-01-11 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Terry Hipp, help-gcc

At 09.41 11/01/2002 (GMT -0500), Terry Hipp wrote:
>The embedded sparc target does not have a fpu, so I am compiling it with
>the mno-fpu option. A test application can successfully complete float
>operations such as floatValue += 0.5; but exceptions when I try to print
>the value using
>printf("floatValue = %f\r\n", floatValue);  Is it sufficient to compile
>the application with the mno-fpu option or does newlib have to be built
>with this option as well?

I think newlib, too, needs be compiled with the option.

fwyzard

* Re: newlib and the mno-fpu option
@ 2002-01-16 11:46 Terry Hipp
From: Terry Hipp @ 2002-01-16 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fwyzard, help-gcc

fyi...
I am no expert but when you build newlib the only option you have is the
--nfp during the configure phase. However, this option only applies to
sun-sunos and m68k-isi-bsd machines and has no effect on other systems. I
rebuilt newlib with the --nfp option to confirm this.  I believe when newlib
is built a soft-float version is built in a "soft" directory. The library
version linked into the application depends on whether you use the -mno-fpu
or -msoft-float option during compilation.

Must be something else going on.