* Not supported in target-blah...
@ 2002-12-20  9:08 James Buchanan
From: James Buchanan @ 2002-12-20  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I am running cygwin on Windows XP, with everything that cygwin
provides installed.  I am trying to build my own GCC in a make
bootstrap option, to hopefully get a native GCC for Win32 (that
doesn't need Cygwin or MinGW installed), so I can distribute a binary
package of GCC for Windows with everything that it needs to run.  GCC
appears to have all it needs, for example its own gettext, boehm-gc,
libffi, etc.  Why can't it just compile these on my host?  Why does it
insist that "this configuration not supported in the following
subdirectories... target-libjava, target-boehm-gc, etc..." when I run
configure??

How can I fix this and force it to compile on my platform?  How do I
tell it not to rely on Cygwin, or to copy over cygwin1.dll,
libiconv-2.dll and so on so that I can have a binary package ready to
zip up and distribute?

If anyone can tell me where these "target-libjava" ...etc
subdirectories are that are not supported, and what files I need to
edit maybe I can fix it and get GCC to compile so I can do a make
bootstrap.

By the way, this `make bootstrap` will compile up the glibc and all
the C, C++ and so on runtimes it needs won't it?  I only want C, C++,
Java and Pascal, I will compile pascal if I can get this to work...

Thanks,

James

* Re: Not supported in target-blah...
@ 2002-12-23  7:56 ` Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci @ 2002-12-23  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Buchanan; +Cc: gcc-help

At 19.51 20/12/2002 +1100, James Buchanan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am running cygwin on Windows XP, with everything that cygwin
>provides installed.  I am trying to build my own GCC in a make
>bootstrap option, to hopefully get a native GCC for Win32 (that
>doesn't need Cygwin or MinGW installed), so I can distribute a binary
>package of GCC for Windows with everything that it needs to run.

MinGW doeas EXACTLY this.
But, of course, you won't get all the nice things you get with cygwin.
With MinGW you'll only gat what Microsoft provided, plus some things
volunteers added in libmingw*, I guess.

>GCC appears to have all it needs,
>for example its own gettext, boehm-gc,
>libffi, etc.  Why can't it just compile these on my host?  Why does it
>insist that "this configuration not supported in the following
>subdirectories... target-libjava, target-boehm-gc, etc..." when I run
>configure??
>
>How can I fix this and force it to compile on my platform?

How DID you run configure ? What IS your platform ?

>How do I
>tell it not to rely on Cygwin, or to copy over cygwin1.dll,
>libiconv-2.dll and so on so that I can have a binary package ready to
>zip up and distribute?

Use standard Cygwin.
Build you executable.
Then right click on it, and select "View dependancies".
Grab all the cyg*.dll your file depends on, and put them in the same dir as
your executable.
ZIP it (or RAR it, or ACE it, tar.gz'ip, or wahever :-), and distribute it.

NOTE: Your program license will have to comply with that of the libraries
you link with.
If you GPL it, you'll probably be fine with whatever comes with cygwin.
This is, of course, no legal advise, just a "common sense" thing.

>If anyone can tell me where these "target-libjava" ...etc
>subdirectories are that are not supported, and what files I need to
>edit maybe I can fix it and get GCC to compile so I can do a make
>bootstrap.
>
>By the way, this `make bootstrap` will compile up the glibc

No, it will use the system C libraries (glibc on Linux, newlib on cygwin,
wincrt.dll for mingw, I guess).

>and all the C, C++ and so on runtimes it needs won't it?
>I only want C, C++, Java and Pascal,

specify --enable-languages=c, c++,java during configure.

>  I will compile pascal if I can get this to work...

Yes, pascal comes in a different package, not with GCC.

>Thanks,
>
>James

I hope this helped to clarify things a bit. If you need more infos, have a
look at MinGW docs and links, and then mail back.
I'll be happy to help.

fwyzard

* Re: Not supported in target-blah...
@ 2002-12-23 14:29 Dockeen
From: Dockeen @ 2002-12-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

You might look into running MSYS with MingW.  It gets you some
of the way towards the neatness of Cygwin, with relatively
dependency free compile of MingW.  Even lets you do configure /
build stuff within its RXVT window.  (I built GSL-1.3 successfully
through it a couple of nights ago).  You can find out more
about it at the MingW site

www.mingw.net

Wayne Keen