* Stl and g++ 2.91.66
@ 2003-09-29 14:17 Matias Woloski
From: Matias Woloski @ 2003-09-29 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I need to use the STL on my project. I've written everything under
redhat 8 and g++ 3.1.x. Now I want to compile it under redhat 6.2 with
g++
2.91.66. Note: I need to compile it under that version because it's
something I have to deliver for a school project and they test it with
that
version.

I get lot of errors regards the STL.
For example, it cannot find the vector::at method which it seems to not
be
there and I don't want to change my 10,000 lines of source code because
of
that.

So, I need to deliver this project with a makefile so others could
compile
it and run it, but I want make sure they will use a good stl lib. Could
include the redhat 8 stl lib or STLPort and create the binary with one
of
those libs instead the one coming in /usr/include/... ?

this is pretty urgent...
thanks,
Matias

* Re: Stl and g++ 2.91.66
@ 2003-09-30 11:37 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2003-09-30 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matias Woloski, gcc-help

Hi Matias,

Versions of GCC before 3.x are not ISO 14882 (i.e., C++) compliant, because they preceded the C++ standard.

You cannot write compliant C++ code (especially ones that use C++ STL as per the standard, and other Standard C++ Library features) with those compilers.  You can only write a variation of C++ that existed in a state of flux before the standard was hammered out.

I recommend you plead your case to your teacher to adopt a more current -- and thus more compliant -- GCC.

It makes no sense to me to teach "pre-1998 C++".

Good luck,
--Eljay