* Help, zillions of undefined references
@ 2004-03-04 20:15 Eric Evans
       [not found] ` <5.2.1.1.2.20040304160333.00b778e8@postoffice9.mail.cornell .edu>
From: Eric Evans @ 2004-03-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with a make I'm trying to do that is resulting in lots and
lots of undefined reference errors (see excerpt from error output at end of
message).  The programmer who wrote the program has no idea why all the
functions are not being linked in.  He says it ought to work, and he's
basically washed his hands of the thing and tells me that it is up to me to
deal with the problem.  In my web searching I came across a message from a
guy who said that the __gxx_personality_v0 reference error could be fixed
by using LD=$(CXX) in the Makefile, but I tried that and it didn't work.  I
am using gcc 3.2.2 on RH linux version 9.  I'm using the default make
program that comes with RH 9.  Is this a problem that could be fixed by
switching to a different version of gcc or a different version of make?  Is
there some linker option in the Makefile that I need to set in order to get
this thing to work?  Unfortunately I have little knowledge of gcc and
make.  Any advice I could get on how to proceed to troubleshoot this
problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much.

Eric

> > main.o(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x12fa): In function `draw(_WidgetRec*, XButtonEvent*,
> > char**, int*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned)'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x1363): In function `draw(_WidgetRec*, XButtonEvent*,
> > char**, int*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x136b): In function `draw(_WidgetRec*, XButtonEvent*,
> > char**, int*)':
> > : undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x261e): In function `IMAGE_LIST::loadTsFile(_IO_FILE*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned)'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x2724): In function `IMAGE_LIST::loadTsFile(_IO_FILE*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned)'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x277a): In function `IMAGE_LIST::loadTsFile(_IO_FILE*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x278f): In function `IMAGE_LIST::loadTsFile(_IO_FILE*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'
> > xwindow.o(.text+0x2797): In function `IMAGE_LIST::loadTsFile(_IO_FILE*)':
> > : undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
> > xwindow.o(.eh_frame+0x12): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
> > make_pulldown.o(.text+0x4ce): In function `deformexit(_WidgetRec*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'
> > make_pulldown.o(.text+0x4e3): In function `deformexit(_WidgetRec*)':
> > : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'

* RE: Help, zillions of undefined references
@ 2004-03-04 21:34 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-03-04 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eje4, gcc-help

It looks like you're actually using GCC 2.96 (since your command is
g++296).  Try changing CC and CXX in your Makefile to be gcc and g++,
respectively.  That should get you using the right compiler that came
with the system.  You're probably actually just using a version of GCC
added to the system for backward compatibility.

Cheers,
Lyle

> > I have a problem with a make I'm trying to do that is resulting in
> > lots and lots of undefined reference errors (see excerpt from error
> > output at end of message).  The programmer who wrote the program has
> > no idea why all the functions are not being linked in.  He says it
> > ought to work, and he's basically washed his hands of the thing and
> > tells me that it is up to me to deal with the problem.  In my web
> > searching I came across a message from a guy who said that the
> > __gxx_personality_v0 reference error could be fixed by using
LD=$(CXX)
> > in the Makefile, but I tried that and it didn't work.  I am using
gcc
> > 3.2.2 on RH linux version 9.  I'm using the default make program
that
> > comes with RH 9.  Is this a problem that could be fixed by switching
> > to a different version of gcc or a different version of make?  Is
> > there some linker option in the Makefile that I need to set in order
> > to get this thing to work?  Unfortunately I have little knowledge of
> > gcc and make.  Any advice I could get on how to proceed to
> > troubleshoot this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very
> > much.
>
>Start by posting the exact command line which causes the error.

OK, here it is:
/usr/bin/g++296 -o tsnake -g       -L/usr/local/tsnake_new/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib
  main.o xwindow.o make_pulldown.o  snaxel.o
contour.o               tsnake.o dymprog.o io.o image.o lmesqCC.o
fileDialogs.o InterestingArea.o              parameterDialogs.o
minimization.o bSpline.o cutting.o   liblimin.a   -ltiff  -lm -lXm -lXt
-lX11

If anybody has any ideas about how I should proceed to try to eliminate
all
these undefined references, I'd appreciate hearing them.  Thanks very
much.

Eric

[parent not found: <363801FFD7B74240A329CEC3F7FE4CC4015F3A1C@ntxboimbx07.micro n.com>]