From: David Brown <david@westcontrol.com>
To: "Göran Steen" <goran.steen@eis.semcon.com>
Cc: "gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: 16-bit int
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 13:45:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 09/08/2012 13:26, Göran Steen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use gcc version 4.3.4, where int is 32-bit variables. Is it
> possible to setup compiler to compile int as 16-bit variables?
>
> With best regards / Med vänlig hälsning / Mit freundlichen Grüßen /
> Saudações
>
> Göran Steen

The size of an int depends on the target - gcc supports dozens of
targets.  Most have 32-bit ints, but some have 16-bit ints and at least
one has a compile-time option to support 8-bit ints (though that goes
against C standards, and is deprecated on current builds).  There are
probably also targets with 64-bit ints.

So step one in asking for help here is to tell us your target.

Step two is to tell us what you are hoping to achieve.  Almost
certainly, there is no way to change the int size - and even if there
happens to be a command-line switch for the given target, it is probably
not a good idea (you'll get in a horrible mess with library
compatibility, for example).  And even if it is possible, it is highly
unlikely to be advantageous.  Tell us what you really want to achieve
here, and people can give you advice towards that.

mvh.,

David