* Re: gcc on darwin os-x
@ 2003-11-08 11:03 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-08 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: infinitysw; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello,

a vm_alloc error is a C library error, something gcc
has no control over (it's Apple's C library). But I
think G5s top out at 8 gigabytes RAM or so, and the
amount you're asking to allocate is a lot more than
that!

Cheers,

Dara

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* Re: gcc on darwin os-x
@ 2003-11-08 11:34 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2003-11-08 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dara Hazeghi; +Cc: infinitysw, gcc-help

On Nov 8, 2003, at 3:03 AM, Dara Hazeghi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a vm_alloc error is a C library error, something gcc
> has no control over (it's Apple's C library). But I
> think G5s top out at 8 gigabytes RAM or so, and the
> amount you're asking to allocate is a lot more than
> that!

It's worse than that; right now, an individual process is limited to 32
bit pointers, so it can only allocate 2 GB.

-- Syd Polk
jazzman@bayarea.net                 http://www.baritoneconsulting.com/
"Let the music be your light." -- Dave Edwards, KUHF-FM, 1982

* Re: gcc on darwin os-x
@ 2003-11-08 18:49   ` Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-08 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk; +Cc: gcc-help

--- Syd Polk <spolk@apple.com> wrote:

> It's worse than that; right now, an individual
> process is limited to 32
> bit pointers, so it can only allocate 2 GB.

Really? I could have sworn I'd read something to the
contrary elsewhere. So -mpowerpc64 only affects long
long on g5, not void *, or anything else? Thanks,

@ 2003-11-10 17:07     ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2003-11-10 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dara Hazeghi; +Cc: gcc-help

On Nov 8, 2003, at 10:49 AM, Dara Hazeghi wrote:

> --- Syd Polk <spolk@apple.com> wrote:
>>

>> It's worse than that; right now, an individual
>> process is limited to 32
>> bit pointers, so it can only allocate 2 GB.
>
> Really? I could have sworn I'd read something to the
> contrary elsewhere. So -mpowerpc64 only affects long
> long on g5, not void *, or anything else? Thanks,
>
> Dara

That is correct.

@ 2003-11-05  9:00 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2003-11-05  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Strauss; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:21:23PM -0500, Nick Strauss wrote:
> Hi,

Hello.

> I'm trying to use g++ in darwin os-x running on a g5 system with
> a powerPC 970 chip.
> I've written the following piece of code:
>
> 	unsigned long long alloc = 1LL<<41;
>
> 	ptr = new char[alloc];
>
> I get a vm_alloc error.
> Is the g++ limited to a 32-bit address space on darwin os-x on g5?

Frankly, I don't know. But to me it seems you're trying to allocate an
array which needs 2 TB of memory. Do you really have that much memory?
In that case, these G5 boxes must be a lot better than I thought.

Regards.
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X

* gcc on darwin os-x
@ 2003-11-05  0:21 Nick Strauss
From: Nick Strauss @ 2003-11-05  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help