* how could make gcc link static library default?
@ 2013-10-17  3:40 net_robber
From: net_robber @ 2013-10-17  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hi,

i know a option -static to force gcc link static library, which will
ignore shared library.
 but in my case, some library just have shared library.
 so, is want gcc linlk static library first, then shared library if
static one was not found

how to do that?

* RE: how could make gcc link static library default?
@ 2013-10-17  4:21 ` Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS
From: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS @ 2013-10-17  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: net_robber, gcc-help

Hi,
        You try both static and dynamic linking with following options with example mentioned below:
        If you have want to compile a program test.c which is dependent on 2 static library foo1 and foo2 and one dynamic library foo3 then below mentioned command will do the trick.

        gcc test.c -W1,-Bstatic -lfoo1 -lfoo2 -W1,-Bdynamic -lfoo3 -o test

        Try this trick on any number of static and dynamic libraries.

With Regards,
Anand

@ 2013-10-17  4:38   ` Terry Guo
From: Terry Guo @ 2013-10-17  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS; +Cc: net_robber, gcc-help

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS
<anand.cb@siemens.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>         You try both static and dynamic linking with following options with example mentioned below:
>         If you have want to compile a program test.c which is dependent on 2 static library foo1 and foo2 and one dynamic library foo3 then below mentioned command will do the trick.
>
>         gcc test.c -W1,-Bstatic -lfoo1 -lfoo2 -W1,-Bdynamic -lfoo3 -o test
>

>         Try this trick on any number of static and dynamic libraries.

Thanks for sharing and sorry for interrupting. I am thinking another
similar scenario: sometimes the foo3 exists in dynamic library,
sometimes it exists in static library. Is it possible to let gcc
search the dynamic one first and then search the static one if dynamic
doesn't exist? Does command like below works?

gcc test.c -Wl,-Bdynamic -lfoo3 -Wl,-Bstatic -lfoo3 -o test

And if both dynamic one and static exist, is it possible to let gcc
choose the dynamic one over the static one or choose the static one
over the dynamic one? Thanks.

BR,
Terry

@ 2013-10-17  5:06     ` Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS
From: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS @ 2013-10-17  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: flameroc; +Cc: net_robber, gcc-help

Hi Terry,
        Normally dynamic is given more preference over static so this should work.

With Regards,
Anand

@ 2013-10-17  5:48       ` Terry Guo
From: Terry Guo @ 2013-10-17  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS; +Cc: net_robber, gcc-help

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS
<anand.cb@siemens.com> wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>         Normally dynamic is given more preference over static so this should work.

Got your point. Thanks.

BR,
Terry

@ 2013-10-17  6:39         ` net_robber
From: net_robber @ 2013-10-17  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Terry Guo; +Cc: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS, gcc-help

thanks for your share,
but this is can be use in case you know what type of the library is.
could it be done by gcc auto??

@ 2013-10-17  6:52           ` Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS
From: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS @ 2013-10-17  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: net_robber, flameroc; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Terry,
        I agree that below mentioned step is needed when you are aware of type of library and this is need for interlinking static and dynamic library. But for the scenario you mentioned below then existing mechanism will do the trick. For example you have library named libfoo.so and libfoo.a in folder named /usr/lib/custom/ and you compile you program test.c to use this library.

        gcc -o test test.c -lfoo -L/usr/lib/custom

        Then first priority is given for dynamic in case dynamic does not exist it uses static.

With Regards,
Anand

@ 2013-10-17  6:58             ` net_robber
From: net_robber @ 2013-10-17  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS; +Cc: flameroc, gcc-help

how to make it the first priority give to static, and then, in case
static does not exist it uses dynamic.

@ 2013-10-17  9:04               ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2013-10-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: net_robber; +Cc: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS, flameroc, gcc-help

On 10/17/2013 07:57 AM, net_robber wrote:
> how to make it the first priority give to static, and then, in case
> static does not exist it uses dynamic.

Have a look at /usr/lib/libc.so on a GNU/Linux system of your choice.

Here it is on mine:

/* GNU ld script
   Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
   the static library, so try that secondarily.  */
OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf32-i386)
GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.6 /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a  AS_NEEDED ( /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ) )

Andrew.

* Re: how could make gcc link static library default?
@ 2013-10-17  9:11                 ` net_robber
From: net_robber @ 2013-10-17  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS, flameroc, gcc-help

how to get that information

@ 2013-10-17 10:42                   ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2013-10-17 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: net_robber; +Cc: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS, flameroc, gcc-help

On 10/17/2013 10:11 AM, net_robber wrote:
> how to get that information

Please don't top-post on the GCC lists.

I don't understand your question.  What does "how to get that information"
mean?  It's in the file /usr/lib/libc.so.