* Time taken by GCC 4.9.1 to compile
@ 2014-08-06  5:49 Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
       [not found] ` <CAEazkWMKKtFSGizGFLuncZVYTzfM5StA9FTsjJM23TY3VmX4+A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-06  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I wonder how much time it takes to compile gcc-4.9.1. After "make" 2
hours have been passed and still build underway.

Ahsan

* Re: Time taken by GCC 4.9.1 to compile
       [not found] ` <CAEazkWMKKtFSGizGFLuncZVYTzfM5StA9FTsjJM23TY3VmX4+A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-08-06  8:19   ` Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-06  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghunath Lolur; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks Raghunath

I have not used any option with configure. I guess I should also try
parallel build.

--
 Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
 Electronic Engineer

@ 2014-08-06 15:32 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2014-08-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari, gcc-help

On 08/05/14 23:49, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
> I wonder how much time it takes to compile gcc-4.9.1. After "make" 2
> hours have been passed and still build underway.
It's highly dependent on your processor's speed and how many processors
you have.

I've got one system here where it takes about a week (no testsuite).  On
the systems where I typically do builds it's a couple hours (testsuite
included).   I'd bet on David M.'s box it's probably less than 30 minutes ;)

Certainly if you have a multi-processor using the "-j #cpus" option to
make will speed things up considerably.

jeff

* Re: Time taken by GCC 4.9.1 to compile
@ 2014-08-06 16:05   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2014-08-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 8/6/2014 11:31 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 08/05/14 23:49, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
>> I wonder how much time it takes to compile gcc-4.9.1. After "make" 2
>> hours have been passed and still build underway.
> It's highly dependent on your processor's speed and how many
> processors you have.
>
> I've got one system here where it takes about a week (no testsuite).
> On the systems where I typically do builds it's a couple hours
> (testsuite included).   I'd bet on David M.'s box it's probably less
> than 30 minutes ;)
>
> Certainly if you have a multi-processor using the "-j #cpus" option to
> make will speed things up considerably.
>
> jeff
Nearly 4 hours to build C Fortran C++ on my Win8.1 4-core laptop. (with
"prerequisites" pre-installed).  That's the worse case I encounter
routinely.
8 hours to run testsuite, with each language started in an independent
session.  There are still occasional spurious time-outs and early
aborts.  Attempting to run testsuite on faster Windows boxes is
counter-productive due to Windows holding files busy.
An obsolete linux box here will build and test in well under 2 hours.

* Time taken by GCC 4.9.1 to compile
@ 2014-08-06  8:25 Raghu L
From: Raghu L @ 2014-08-06  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ahsan.pmd; +Cc: gcc-help