* Compilation security options for shared libraries and executables (daemon) with G++ 4.9.2
@ 2014-12-07 13:00 Some Developer
From: Some Developer @ 2014-12-07 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

Currently I am compiling my shared library with the following options:

-Wformat=2 -fPIC -fpic -fstack-protector-strong -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now

and my executable (Linux daemon) with these options:

-Wformat=2 -fPIE -pie -fstack-protector-strong -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now

and when I compile in release mode I add:

-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

The question is have I got these options right? The real question is
have I got the -fPIC and -fPIE options the right way round (when
compiling for libraries versus executables)?

Also are there any more options I should be adding to make sure I have
compiled in the best possible buffer overflow protection possible?
This is a network daemon so I kind of need everything that is
available.

Cheers.