* Re: problems compiling gcc under Max OS X
@ 2008-07-12 17:52 Dan Allen
From: Dan Allen @ 2008-07-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I too am having problems building an Intel gcc 4.3.1 on Mac OS X
10.5.4 on a standard iMac.  There are many issues.

I grab the gmp-4.2.2 distribution, ./configure, make, and make install
it to /usr/local.  Everything is great.

ISSUE #1:
I then grab the mpfr-2.3.1 distribution, ./configure it, and the ./
configure fails. It says that the ABIs do not match.  config.guess in
the gmp build gives returns 'core2-apple-darwin9.4.0', while
config.guess in the mpfr build returns 'i386-apple-darwin9.4.0'.
Hmm.  Well, core2 is not the same as i386, but they are in some sense
compatible.  How does one fix this?

ISSUE #2:
There are a lot of places in the configure scripts where you see

   rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory

Is there an autoconf that fixes this?  rm needs to be rm -rf on Mac OS
X.  (Is this because of a case-insensitive file system?)

ISSUE #3:
I really wish that these extra dependencies were not there.  I can
build gcc 4.2.5 without any problems, but requiring gmp and mpfr in
4.3+ with these hassles is a real pain.  Why can't these be integrated
into gcc and put into gcclib so builds go smoother?

Thanks for listening.

Dan Allen

* Re: problems compiling gcc under Max OS X
@ 2008-07-12 20:31 ` Nicholas Miller
From: Nicholas Miller @ 2008-07-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Allen; +Cc: gcc-help

Take a look at the Makefile for gmp. Look for the line CFLAGS= and
then when going to configure mpfr use:
configure <whatever options you normally use> CFLAGS="<whatevers
listed in the make">. This should allow you to build and install
mpfr. Apparently, theres issues with it's configuration scripts.

This should allow you to get mpfr installed. Let me know if this
completly solves your issues or if you are still having problems
getting gcc to compile.

As far as my issue:

I've made a seperate build directory and am still having the same
issues. Not specifying any parameters gives me an error that gmp/mpfr
are not found... but I've built and installed them in the default
location. If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears. I
would perfer not to have to jump to an earlier build...

~Nick

@ 2008-07-12 20:45   ` Chris Jefferson
From: Chris Jefferson @ 2008-07-12 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Miller; +Cc: Dan Allen, gcc-help

Could I suggest you install gcc via macports?

While this does mean the resulting executable is in /sw/bin, I find it
works fine.

Chris

@ 2008-07-13  0:15 ` Nicholas Miller
From: Nicholas Miller @ 2008-07-13  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Glad to have helped. Answering your question drew me to the same
evaluation and results.

Now the real work begins. ;)

@ 2008-07-12 21:47 Dan Allen
From: Dan Allen @ 2008-07-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2008-07-12 15:40 ` Chris Jefferson
From: Chris Jefferson @ 2008-07-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Miller; +Cc: gcc-help

You should not do an 'in-build' tree for gcc. Also, did you try
without those flags?

Try doing this:

make a directory "gccobj" in the same directory as you have the source

do:

cd gccobj
../gccsourcedirectory/configure
make

Where you obviously replace gccsourcedirectory with the directory you
put gcc in.

Does this work? (It does for me, on 10.5.3, latest iPhone SDK beta)

@ 2008-07-12 11:48 Nicholas Miller