* RE: noreentrant functions on Linux Advance Server 2.1 using gcc 2.96
       [not found] ` <2B721C6525F0D411B1E900B0D0226BDD044C73E1@mohmsg01.ad.infos ys.com>
@ 2004-03-26 13:39   ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-03-26 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jyotirmoy Das; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Jyotirmoy,

I do not know if that list is comprehensively sufficient for Red Hat Linux
Advanced Server 2.1.  (I use RHLAS 2.1, but not for a multithreaded
application.)

I presume you are including the correct flag for multithreading.  That
would be "gcc -pthread" for compile and link (which puts in -D_REENTRANT
and -lpthread, respectively).  Da?  Nyet?

And I presume your GCC was built with --enable-threads=posix (which you can
see via "gcc -v" for GCC 3.2, but I presume you'll have to infer during
compilation if you use RH/GCC 2.96).

In C and C++, multithreading is wishy-washy.  It's not part of the
language, it's a "bolt-on" that varies by vendor.  And not all vendors or
platforms support POSIX (or necessarily support POSIX correctly).

For C++, I believe the BOOST folks have a platform-neutral thread
API.  Assuming you were using C++, it's probably a little late in the game
to switch horses to a different thread paradigm (say, BOOST versus POSIX or
versus platform-centric).

HTH,
--Eljay

* RE: noreentrant functions on Linux Advance Server 2.1 using gcc 2.96
@ 2004-03-26 17:00 Jyotirmoy Das
       [not found] ` <2B721C6525F0D411B1E900B0D0226BDD044C73E1@mohmsg01.ad.infos ys.com>
From: Jyotirmoy Das @ 2004-03-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Eljay,
  Thanks for your reply.
I am currently using the link as you specified below. I want to know
specifically the exhausted function list on LAS 2.1. Is that list is
sufficient?
I have almost seven lacks lines of code. In addition, it is not possible
for me to go through the each of source file and as a result, I need the
list of functions so that I can use the list in a shell script to point
out the source files.

Moreover, Is malloc a thread-safe function?

Thanks,
Jyotirmoy

From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-03-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jyotirmoy Das, gcc-help

@ 2004-03-26 13:14 Jyotirmoy Das
       [not found] ` <2B721C6525F0D411B1E900B0D0226BDD044C73D9@mohmsg01.ad.infos ys.com>
From: Jyotirmoy Das @ 2004-03-26 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi All,
  How can I get the list of thread unsafe functions on Linux Advance
Server 2.1 using gcc 2.96? And also how to get their corresponding
thread safe version?
How I know that I particular function is reentrant or not?

Thanks,
Jyotirmoy