* gcc on MAC OSX
@ 2004-07-01  0:11 Michael Grabe
From: Michael Grabe @ 2004-07-01  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear users,

This is a reposting of Fei Wang's question from a few days ago
concerning builds on MAC OSX 10.3.*. I have the same problem,
but I fear I am being stupid.

I have downloaded gcc3.3 and gcc3.1 sources, and when I try
to build either I get the same error as I try to configure:

*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g  conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

It seems as if I need a c compiler to begin with. I don't know what to
do.  I read in the html documents that cc must be set or else failure
will happen during configuring. Well it happens. What am I to do?

I have installed the prepackaged gcc3.1 compilers that come with the MAC
operating system; however, they do not have g77 bundled in there so I
uninstalled those binaries and tried to build from scratch.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Michael Grabe

--------------------------
Michael Grabe, Ph.D.
HHMI/UCSF
Genetics Development & Behavioral Science Building
1550 4th Street, GD 481
San Francisco, CA 94143-0725
tel: ++ 415.476.0421
http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~mgrabe

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 1323 bytes --]

[...]

* Re: gcc on MAC OSX
@ 2004-07-01 12:29 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-07-01 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Grabe, gcc-help

Hi Michael,

 >It seems as if I need a c compiler to begin with.

Correct.  That is true for all platforms that GCC is used upon.

 >I have installed the prepackaged gcc3.1 compilers that come with the MAC
operating system; however, they do not have g77 bundled in there so I
uninstalled those binaries and tried to build from scratch.

Build from scratch first, THEN uninstall those binaries.

HTH,
--Eljay