* RE: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler
@ 2005-07-19 19:07 Bell, Timothy
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01C9DE@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
From: Bell, Timothy @ 2005-07-19 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

The make file is now:

# make --version
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

In addition to all of the "warning" messages, I am still getting the
following messages:

Bootstrap comparison failure!
alias.o differs
attribs.o differs
bb-reorder.o differs
bitmap.o differs
builtins.o differs
c-aux-info.o differs
c-common.o differs
c-convert.o differs
c-decl.o differs
c-dump.o differs
c-errors.o differs
c-format.o differs
c-lang.o differs
c-lex.o differs
c-objc-common.o differs
c-opts.o differs
c-parse.o differs
c-pragma.o differs
c-pretty-print.o differs
c-semantics.o differs
c-typeck.o differs
caller-save.o differs
calls.o differs
cfg.o differs
cfganal.o differs
cfgbuild.o differs
cfgcleanup.o differs
cfglayout.o differs
cfgloop.o differs
cfgrtl.o differs
collect2.o differs
combine.o differs
conflict.o differs
convert.o differs
cppdefault.o differs
cpperror.o differs
cppexp.o differs
cppfiles.o differs
cpphash.o differs
cppinit.o differs
cpplex.o differs
cpplib.o differs
cppmacro.o differs
cppmain.o differs
cppspec.o differs
cpptrad.o differs
cse.o differs
cselib.o differs
dbxout.o differs
debug.o differs
df.o differs
diagnostic.o differs
doloop.o differs
dominance.o differs
dummy-conditions.o differs
dwarf2asm.o differs
dwarf2out.o differs
dwarfout.o differs
emit-rtl.o differs
errors.o differs
et-forest.o differs
except.o differs
explow.o differs
expmed.o differs
expr.o differs
final.o differs
fix-header.o differs
flow.o differs
fold-const.o differs
function.o differs
g++spec.o differs
g77spec.o differs
gcc.o differs
gccspec.o differs
gcov.o differs
gcse.o differs
gen-protos.o differs
genattr.o differs
genattrtab.o differs
genautomata.o differs
gencheck.o differs
gencodes.o differs
genconditions.o differs
genconfig.o differs
genconstants.o differs
genemit.o differs
genextract.o differs
genflags.o differs
gengenrtl.o differs
gengtype-lex.o differs
gengtype-yacc.o differs
gengtype.o differs
genopinit.o differs
genoutput.o differs
genpeep.o differs
genpreds.o differs
genrecog.o differs
genrtl.o differs
gensupport.o differs
ggc-common.o differs
ggc-none.o differs
ggc-page.o differs
global.o differs
graph.o differs
gtype-desc.o differs
haifa-sched.o differs
hashtable.o differs
hooks.o differs
ifcvt.o differs
insn-attrtab.o differs
insn-conditions.o differs
insn-emit.o differs
insn-extract.o differs
insn-opinit.o differs
insn-output.o differs
insn-peep.o differs
insn-recog.o differs
integrate.o differs
intl.o differs
jump.o differs
jvspec.o differs
langhooks.o differs
lcm.o differs
line-map.o differs
lists.o differs
local-alloc.o differs
loop.o differs
main.o differs
mbchar.o differs
mkdeps.o differs
objc-act.o differs
objc-lang.o differs
objc-parse.o differs
optabs.o differs
pa.o differs
params.o differs
predict.o differs
prefix.o differs
print-rtl.o differs
print-rtl1.o differs
print-tree.o differs
profile.o differs
ra-build.o differs
ra-colorize.o differs
ra-debug.o differs
ra-rewrite.o differs
ra.o differs
read-rtl.o differs
real.o differs
recog.o differs
reg-stack.o differs
regclass.o differs
regmove.o differs
regrename.o differs
reload.o differs
reload1.o differs
reorg.o differs
resource.o differs
rtl-error.o differs
rtl.o differs
rtlanal.o differs
sbitmap.o differs
scan-decls.o differs
scan.o differs
sched-deps.o differs
sched-ebb.o differs
sched-rgn.o differs
sched-vis.o differs
sdbout.o differs
sibcall.o differs
simplify-rtx.o differs
ssa-ccp.o differs
ssa-dce.o differs
ssa.o differs
stmt.o differs
stor-layout.o differs
stringpool.o differs
timevar.o differs
tlink.o differs
toplev.o differs
tracer.o differs
tree-dump.o differs
tree-inline.o differs
tree.o differs
unroll.o differs
varasm.o differs
varray.o differs
version.o differs
vmsdbgout.o differs
xcoffout.o differs
intl/bindtextdom.o differs
intl/dcgettext.o differs
intl/dcigettext.o differs
intl/dcngettext.o differs
intl/dgettext.o differs
intl/dngettext.o differs
intl/explodename.o differs
intl/finddomain.o differs
intl/gettext.o differs
intl/intl-compat.o differs
intl/l10nflist.o differs
intl/loadmsgcat.o differs
intl/localcharset.o differs
intl/localealias.o differs
intl/ngettext.o differs
intl/plural.o differs
intl/textdomain.o differs
cp/call.o differs
cp/class.o differs
cp/cp-lang.o differs
cp/cvt.o differs
cp/decl.o differs
cp/decl2.o differs
cp/dump.o differs
cp/error.o differs
cp/except.o differs
cp/expr.o differs
cp/friend.o differs
cp/init.o differs
cp/lex.o differs
cp/mangle.o differs
cp/method.o differs
cp/optimize.o differs
cp/parse.o differs
cp/pt.o differs
cp/ptree.o differs
cp/repo.o differs
cp/rtti.o differs
cp/search.o differs
cp/semantics.o differs
cp/spew.o differs
cp/tree.o differs
cp/typeck.o differs
cp/typeck2.o differs
f/bad.o differs
f/bit.o differs
f/bld.o differs
f/com.o differs
f/data.o differs
f/equiv.o differs
f/expr.o differs
f/fini.o differs
f/global.o differs
f/implic.o differs
f/info.o differs
f/intrin.o differs
f/lab.o differs
f/lex.o differs
f/malloc.o differs
f/name.o differs
f/parse.o differs
f/src.o differs
f/st.o differs
f/sta.o differs
f/stb.o differs
f/stc.o differs
f/std.o differs
f/ste.o differs
f/storag.o differs
f/stp.o differs
f/str.o differs
f/sts.o differs
f/stt.o differs
f/stu.o differs
f/stv.o differs
f/stw.o differs
f/symbol.o differs
f/target.o differs
f/top.o differs
f/type.o differs
f/where.o differs
java/boehm.o differs
java/buffer.o differs
java/builtins.o differs
java/check-init.o differs
java/class.o differs
java/constants.o differs
java/decl.o differs
java/except.o differs
java/expr.o differs
java/gjavah.o differs
java/java-tree-inline.o differs
java/jcf-depend.o differs
java/jcf-dump.o differs
java/jcf-io.o differs
java/jcf-parse.o differs
java/jcf-path.o differs
java/jcf-write.o differs
java/jv-scan.o differs
java/jvgenmain.o differs
java/lang.o differs
java/mangle.o differs
java/mangle_name.o differs
java/parse-scan.o differs
java/parse.o differs
java/typeck.o differs
java/verify.o differs
java/win32-host.o differs
java/xref.o differs
java/zextract.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/u35/stage/gcc_file_333/gcc-3.3.3/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Thanks,
Tim

Timothy Bell
Senior Information Systems Consultant, Solutions Group
Intergraph Corporation (NASDAQ:INGR)
170 Graphics Drive, Madison, AL 35758
P 1.256.730.1531 F 1.256.730.1350
timothy.bell@intergraph.com; www.intergraph.com

From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-07-19 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bell, Timothy, gcc-help

Hi Tim,

Where is your GCC source code directory?

Where is your GCC build directory?

What did you type in for the configure?

--Eljay

* Re: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01D426@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
@ 2005-07-20 16:45 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2005-07-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bell, Timothy; +Cc: gcc-help

Bell, Timothy wrote:
> Also, my system is an HP-UX 11.11 rev U system.

I last built 3.3.2 on HP-UX and all of my information applies to it.
But I assume that 3.3.3 would be very similar.

* Ensure that you are using GNU make.  I compile it and put it in my
  path ahead of any other make programs.

* Ensure that you are using the GNU assembler.  This is very
  important.  Start by building binutils or later.  This must be done
  first.  (I believe I am using 2.14 at the moment.)

To build binutils I am using the following configure options.  So the
resulting binaries end up installed in /usr/bin/gas.

  ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man \
    --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info \
    --program-prefix=g \
    --disable-shared

[I have a note to myself that I must install libiberty.h from binutils
into the /usr/include directory.  I don't remember the details.  I
don't know if this is still needed.  It was for me.  YMMV.]

To build gcc-3.3.2 I used the following configure options.  This is a
scriptlet that I used to configure, build, and do a minor fix.

# The first time around without gcc available use these:
#   CC=cc CFLAGS="-O" LIBCXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates"
# The second and later times with gcc available use these:
#   LIBCXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates"

LIBCFLAGS="-O2" LIBCXXFLAGS="-O2 -fno-implicit-templates" \
  ./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man \
  --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info \
  --program-suffix=-3.3 \
  --with-as=/usr/bin/gas \
  --with-gnu-as \
  --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
  --enable-languages=c,c++ \
  --enable-cxx-flags='-fPIC'

make -j2 bootstrap

# I was not able to deduce where in the process 'fixincludes' was to
# be able to fix it there.  That would be the better place.  But this
# place will do too.
# Change this:
#  define isalpha(__c) (__SB_masks ? (int)__SB_masks[__c] & _ISALPHA
# To this:
#  define isalpha(__c) (__SB_masks ? (int)__SB_masks[(int)__c] &
#  _ISALPHA

sed '/__SB_masks.__c/s/__c]/(int)__c]/' ./gcc/include/ctype.h \
  > ./gcc/include/ctype.h.new
mv ./gcc/include/ctype.h.new ./gcc/include/ctype.h

> We are only currently authorized to use gcc version 3.3.3. In
> addition, all of our other HP-UX 11.11 systems have version 3.3.3 of
> the gcc on them.

How were those other systems installed?  Wouldn't you just use the
same installation bits as install there?

> I know that each time we deployed the gcc to each of the systems by
> my predecessors, there was a problem. However, I don't have any
> notes as to how they finally were able to compile the gcc on those
> systems. Is there anyway that I could copy the gcc and libraries
> from the other systems to the new system since they are at the same
> HP-UX level. If so, what directories would I have to copy in order
> to get the gcc over to the new system?

Ah!  I see the problem.  The files are installed, but without a
package manager, and so you do not know what files you would need to
copy from one machine to another.  So your only recourse is build from
scratch to deduce those files.  Gotcha.

I am using a packager manager (RPM) on HP-UX to track my installed
files.  Let me share with you the list of files that I believe are
needed on my systems to install gcc.

The binutils files that you need (not counting man pages and other
docs) are:

  /usr/bin/gaddr2line
  /usr/bin/gar
  /usr/bin/gas
  /usr/bin/gc++filt
  /usr/bin/ggprof
  /usr/bin/gnm
  /usr/bin/gobjcopy
  /usr/bin/gobjdump
  /usr/bin/granlib
  /usr/bin/greadelf
  /usr/bin/gsize
  /usr/bin/gstrings
  /usr/bin/gstrip

The gcc-3.3 files that you need (not counting man pages and other
docs) are:

  /usr/bin/c++-3.3
  /usr/bin/cpp-3.3
  /usr/bin/g++-3.3
  /usr/bin/gcc-3.3
  /usr/bin/gccbug-3.3
  /usr/bin/gcov-3.3
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/3.3.2/*

Note that I built binutils without shared libraries.  You would need
to track down any binutils shared libraries that you are using and
include them in the list too.

Obviously my prefix is /usr, but I am using a package manager and
distributing them on many machines.  You would to map those
directories and files to the names and locations that you used with
your installation.  But then it should be possible to tar up a
complete set of files and to transfer them to another machine.

Bob

* RE: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler
@ 2005-07-20 13:55     ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2005-07-20 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eljay Love-Jensen', 'Bell, Timothy'; +Cc: gcc-help

Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:

> I've had good luck using GNU as and GNU ld whenever I've used GNU's
> GCC.
>
> I've never tried *not* using GNU as and GNU ld (and GNU make, GNU
> bison, yada yada yada).

I'm a bit out of touch because our HP test box has been offline for a few
years.

I think certainly on HP-UX 10 you should be using GNU as or you don't get
any debug information built. On HP-UX 11 I think that's been fixed although
it looks like you've still got a choice between the native assembler and
having to ignore the bootstrap comparison or just using the GNU assembler
instead. I don't think you have any choice with the linker though: the GNU
linker doesn't (or didn't) support HP's executable format so you have to use
the native one.

* RE: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01D5CE@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
@ 2005-07-20 13:35   ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-07-20 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bell, Timothy; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Tim,

>Should I be using a GNU Assembler?

I don't know.

I've had good luck using GNU as and GNU ld whenever I've used GNU's GCC.

I've never tried *not* using GNU as and GNU ld (and GNU make, GNU bison, yada yada yada).

I don't know which combinations of GNU and not GNU tools work or don't work with GCC 3.3.3.  Or if there are any caveats regarding HP in general, HP 11, HP 11.11, or HP 11.11U in particular.

Sincerely,
--Eljay

* RE: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler
@ 2005-07-20 13:20 Bell, Timothy
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01D5CE@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
From: Bell, Timothy @ 2005-07-20 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood; +Cc: eljay, gcc-help

Yes. I'm using the native HP-UX assembler. I've downloaded the GNU Make
version 3.80. However, I did not download a GNU assembler. Should I be using
a GNU Assembler?

From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-07-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bell, Timothy, gcc-help

Hi Tim,

Well, I'm tapped.  :-(

Does this website provide any assistance to your quandry, q.v. "Building your own from source"...

http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/

Sincerely,
--Eljay

* RE: Problem Building 32-bit gcc native compiler
@ 2005-07-20 13:08 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2005-07-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bell, Timothy', gcc-help

@ 2005-07-20 12:44 Bell, Timothy
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01D426@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
From: Bell, Timothy @ 2005-07-20 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Also, my system is an HP-UX 11.11 rev U system. I need to get the gcc
compiled and ready today due to a very tight schedule. We are only currently
authorized to use gcc version 3.3.3. In addition, all of our other HP-UX
11.11 systems have version 3.3.3 of the gcc on them. I know that each time

       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01CC1D@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
@ 2005-07-19 22:29   ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-07-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bell, Timothy, gcc-help

@ 2005-07-19 19:54 Bell, Timothy
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730C01CC1D@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
From: Bell, Timothy @ 2005-07-19 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Thanks for replying Eljay,

The srcdir is:  /u35/stage/gcc_file_333/gcc-3.3.3

The objdir is: /u35/stage/gcc_file_333/gcc_3.3.3_obj

While in the /u35/stage/gcc_file_333/gcc_3.3.3_obj directory I issue the
command:

/u35/stage/gcc_file_333/gcc-3.3.3/configure

This creates the objects in the /u35/stage/gcc_file_333/gcc_3.3.3_obj
directory.

Once the configure execution completes, I enter the following:

make CFLAGS='-O' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2' LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2
-fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap

I then receive a lot of warning messages and then fails with the errors that
I listed in the previous message.

       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730BFFA46E@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
@ 2005-07-19 17:58   ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-07-19 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bell, Timothy, gcc-help

@ 2005-07-19 17:49 Bell, Timothy
       [not found] ` <697750C28DC0474ABF279ECB3979E3730BFFA46E@hq4.pcmail.ingr.c om>
From: Bell, Timothy @ 2005-07-19 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm having trouble building the gcc 32-bit native compiler on HP-UX 11.11
machine. I'm trying to build version 3.3.3 of the compiler (since this is
the one that we have been authorized to use).

I performed the configure and no problems occurred. Now that I am building
the native compiler, the following error occurs:

# make CFLAGS='-O' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2' LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2
-fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap
Make: line 1192: syntax error.  Stop.

No matter what I do, I get this error.