* RE: Compiling GCC 4.0.0 for mips r4000
@ 2005-08-01 17:06 Meissner, Michael
From: Meissner, Michael @ 2005-08-01 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas; +Cc: gcc-help

If you don't want to worry about libraries, I would configure with
--target=mips64-elf.  However, note that within the MIPS, there are
several different ABIs, so you will need to know which ABI you wish to
use (for a bareboard, it doesn't matter, but if you are going to be
using libraries or an OS, you need to use a compatible ABI).  When
compiling, I would use -march=r4000.  I don't recall if the MIPS port
currently uses --with-arch=r4000.

Acctually, I think I'll try --target=mips64-linux (I'm not sure what
specific operating system I'll be using at this point). What should I
do though if I want to compile stuff for the mips r4000 specifically,
irrespective of the OS to be used?

Thanks for your time.
Ousama Rawas.

* Re: Compiling GCC 4.0.0 for mips r4000
       [not found]   ` <4a618d080507310600305aabd1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-07-31 15:10     ` Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-07-31 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arturas Moskvinas; +Cc: gcc-help

On 7/31/05, Arturas Moskvinas <arturas.moskvinas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Acctually, I think I'll try --target=mips64-linux (I'm not sure what
> > specific operating system I'll be using at this point). What should I
> > do though if I want to compile stuff for the mips r4000 specifically,
> > irrespective of the OS to be used?
>
> You want to write your own OS, or BIOS? Because different OS'es have
> different calling conventions and so on, it is impossible to have a
> one compiler for every OS for that architecture... Of course you can
> compile all possible compiler for that architecture...
>
> Arturas M.

Hey...
Thanks for the reply. What I need is to assume any OS at this point,
and to compile for the mips r4000. At a layer stage, I might
write/customize an OS. Now I just need to compile GCC to generate
assembly code for the mips r4000, assuming that I have this or that OS
(specifying an OS at this point isn't really essential for me).
Thanks for the help.

Ousama Rawas

* Re: Compiling GCC 4.0.0 for mips r4000
@ 2005-07-31  9:36 ` Ousama Rawas
       [not found]   ` <4a618d080507310600305aabd1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-07-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meissner, Michael; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2005-07-29 21:31 Meissner, Michael
From: Meissner, Michael @ 2005-07-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas, gcc-help

What is the target system?  Usually if you are compiling to a specific
operating system, you specify that in the --target line, ie:
--target=mips64-linux or --target=mips-rtems.  If you are compiling to a
bare board, you might try something like: --target=mips64-elf.