From: "Rupert Wood" <me@rupey.net>
To: "'Danish Samad'" <danishsamad@yahoo.com>
Cc: <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: help wanted
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:44:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Danish Samad wrote:

> The GCC project I have downloaded is huge containing a lot of other
> compilers, assemblers etc. Can you please guide me where to find the
> gcc c compilers front end with documentation.

There's plenty of it, yes, but if you're going to attempt some heavy
backend wizardry then you will have to get your head around most of it
sooner or later.

Unless you have a merged gcc-binutils tree (not likely if you downloaded
it yourself) then you don't actually have any assemblers bundled.
Instead, you have

   /                 Top level makefiles for cygnus toolchain
   /gcc              C front end and generic backend
   /gcc/config       CPU/OS specific instruction sets and ABIs
   /gcc/cp           C++ front end
   /gcc/objc         Objective-C front end
   /gcc/f            Fortran front end
   /gcc/java         Java front end
   /gcc/po           Internationalization 'pot' translation files
   /gcc/intl         Internationalization library
   /gcc/fixinc       Fixes for non-standards-conformant system headers
   /gcc/doc          Documentation
   /gcc/ginclude     GCC build includes
   /gcc/testsuite    GCC regression testsuite

etc. plus a number of runtime libraries and helper libraries (libiberty)
at the top level.

i.e. you'll find the C-front end and the generic backend in the gcc
directory, plus you'll need one of the machine description files (.md)
plus a number of headers and source files in the config tree to tell the
generic backend how to generate processor specific code.

All documentation is build with GCC into at least .info format. It is
also available online at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

Good luck!

Rup.