* Porting Gcc to New Processors
@ 2001-11-02 13:38 Dr. Russ Duren
From: Dr. Russ Duren @ 2001-11-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

After spending a hour looking through the online documentation, "Using and
Porting the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)," I am left with the following
questions:

1.  Is there a top-level description of the steps required to port the
compiler collection to a new (currently unsupported) processor?

2.  Does anyone know of a more user-friendly porting document?

Thank you,

Russ Duren

Dr. Russ Duren, Code AA/Dr
Dept. of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Naval Postgraduate School
699 Dyer Road, Rm. 137
Monterey, CA  93943

Phone: (831)656-5039
Fax:   (831)656-5039 or 2313

email:  rwduren@nps.navy.mil
Home Page: www.aa.nps.navy.mil/~rwduren

* RE: Porting Gcc to New Processors
@ 2001-11-03 12:37 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-11-03 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dr. Russ Duren'; +Cc: gcc-help

:
> 2.  Does anyone know of a more user-friendly porting document?

At the top of http://gcc.gnu.org/readings.html there's Hans-Peter
Nilsson's "Porting GCC for Dunces" - based, I think, on an old thesis
about porting GCC to the CRIS processor.

I looked at this a while ago and my impression was that it gave a good
overview with a few sketch details. You'll find yourself referring back
to the GCC manual before long, though.

Hope that helps,
Rup.