* RE: gcc compatibility with Sun Forte
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D394D15@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-02-06  0:28 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-02-06  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Heaton, Juli'; +Cc: gcc-help

Juli Heaton wrote:

> I am beginning a C++ software development program.  We have gcc,
> etc. in-house and are planning to use this for our development.
> However, we have a requirement to be compatible with Sun Forte.
> Our customer will be integrating several products together using Sun
> Forte.
>
> Can you give me any documentation you have on this to convince my
> customer that the gcc product we provide will be compatible with
> their setup.

In my (limited) experience of this the only real problem is with the STL
implementations. If you're using GCC 3+ then you should be OK: the
syntax-checking in GCC is at least as strict as Forte's, and both
compilers are roughly equivalently conforming. On the other hand, I've
seen Forte-specific STL oddities and the odd templating bug so I don't
think that you can avoid testing with Forte completely.

Forte vs 2.95: Forte enforces the std namespace but 2.95 doesn't.
Back-porting to 2.95 from Forte, you might hit problems with missing
stringstreams in GCC 2.95, but I can't think of anything else of the top
of my head.

The only document I've seen would be Red Hat's Solaris-to-Linux porting
guide,

     http://www.redhat.com/devnet/whitepapers/solaris_port/book1.html

which has some relevant passages; particularly, if you're developing GCC
on Linux then you'll have to be aware of the odd difference in system
call interfaces.

Good luck,
Rup.

* gcc compatibility with Sun Forte
@ 2002-02-05 16:11 Heaton, Juli
From: Heaton, Juli @ 2002-02-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'help-gcc@gnu.org'

I am beginning a C++ software development program.  We have gcc, etc.
in-house and are planning to use this for our development.  However, we have
a requirement to be compatible with Sun Forte.  Our customer will be
integrating several products together using Sun Forte.

Can you give me any documentation you have on this to convince my customer
that the gcc product we provide will be compatible with their setup.

Thank you,

Juli Heaton
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Dallas
972-603-1426