* RE: build cross gcc for ppc-linux
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D5B2A8F@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-04-18 17:15 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-04-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hlin; +Cc: gcc-help

Harry Lin wrote:

> On host : i686-pc-linux-gnu (Redhat 7.1)
> to build powerpc-linux-gnu cross gcc 3.0.4, with binutils 2.12
> ./configure --target=powerpc-ibm-linux-gnu --with-newlib

You shouldn't use newlib if you're targeting a specific OS; you should
install or build headers and libraries specific to the OS. In this case,
you should build glibc for your target or extract the headers and basic
libraries from a binary PPC gnu/linux distribution. I'm afraid I don't
know the specifics of doing this; you might have to build a powerpc-elf
cross-compiler using newlib and then use that to build glibc for
powerpc-linux-gnu, or there might be an easier way (integrate glibc into
the sources tree and build in parallel?) but I'm not sure.

In addition to glibc, you'll also need the linux/ and asm/ headers from
the kernel source.

> seeing errors of files not exist while compiling in rs6000/linux.h
> about <signal.h> and <sys/ucontext.h>, while there are such files
> right there under /usr/include.

These headers belong to the compile host and should not be used for the
cross target. In you case, it's using only the headers provided with
newlib.

Good luck,
Rup.

* build cross gcc for ppc-linux
@ 2002-04-18 11:51 Harry Lin
From: Harry Lin @ 2002-04-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On host : i686-pc-linux-gnu (Redhat 7.1)
to build powerpc-linux-gnu cross gcc 3.0.4, with binutils 2.12
./configure --target=powerpc-ibm-linux-gnu --with-newlib

seeing errors of files not exist while compiling in rs6000/linux.h about
<signal.h> and <sys/ucontext.h>, while there are such files right there under
/usr/include.

searching the archieves of gcc mailing lists, there were reports of such
problems, but no one posted answers

although i can get into rs6000/linux.h to try to hack around, i bet this is a
problem that must have been fixed gracefully,

any one knows sth about this....Thanx

Harry