From: "Rupert Wood" <me@rupey.net>
To: <chouc@WellsFargo.COM>
Cc: <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: gcc for HP-UX 11
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 01:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Charles Chou wrote:

> I tried to compile gcc-3.0.4 for HP-UX 11. I got "sh: autoconf: not
> found." error during make. How do I get it fixed? Thanks.

This is probably a bug in HP make - it's trying to regenerate the
configure script when it doesn't actually need to. (You usually see this
with a bison dependency, though - I've not seen it with autoconf
before.)

You need to install and use GNU make. You can get the source from any
GNU mirror, and I think it compiles with HP bundled cc (although it's
been a while since I tried). If you hit problems, try adding
'--disable-nls' to the configure line and trying again; if you want NLS
support, rebuild it once you've got GCC up and running.

Two side notes:

1, GCC 3.1 will be out soon. (I've lost track of when, though.)

2, the HP bundled assembler won't generate debug symbols (or at least
GCC can't make it). If you want to debug your programs, you'll have to
build and install GNU binutils - or the assembler at least. If you want
to build everything yourself, I'd suggest you:

    a, build GNU make using the bundled tools
    b, build and install a C-language-only GCC using GNU make and
       bundled tools (configure it '--enable-languages=c')
    c, use the new GCC to build and install GNU binutils
    d, rebuild GCC with all the languages you want targeting the GNU
       assemlber (configure it '--with-gnu-as --with-as=<path>')

Good luck,
Rup.