* gcc update help please
@ 2022-06-22 19:16 jm
From: jm @ 2022-06-22 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello.

I have installed the stand alone CodeBlocks 17.12 .

It came with mingw32-gcc-5.1.0.exe .

I am having some difficulty compiling commands like std::codecvt_utf8
and others.

I have looked at the page
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/locale/codecvt_utf8 and they have a
list of compilers that work with their code.

I tried some of the gcc versions and found that GCC 5.2 (C++11) works OK
with it.

Therefore, my question for you is:

Where do I get a GCC 5.2 (C++11) download from you guys?

Or maybe if GCC 5.5 would work for my computer. Maybe?

I am using a Windows XP Pro (32 bit) service pack 2 .

Thank you.

* Re: gcc update help please
@ 2022-06-22 20:04 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-06-22 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jm; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 20:19, jm@samuelinteriors.com
<jm@samuelinteriors.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have installed the stand alone CodeBlocks 17.12 .
>
> It came with mingw32-gcc-5.1.0.exe .

That's ancient.

> I am having some difficulty compiling commands like std::codecvt_utf8
> and others.

GCC 5.1 does have the std::codecvt_utf8, so I assume you're not using
the -std=c++11 option.

> I have looked at the page
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/locale/codecvt_utf8 and they have a
> list of compilers that work with their code.
>
> I tried some of the gcc versions and found that GCC 5.2 (C++11) works OK
> with it.

No it doesn't, the std::codecvt_utf8 in GCC 5.2 is identical to the
one in GCC 5.1 and it doesn't handle UCS2 correctly (see
https://gcc.gnu.org/PR79980 for details).

The oldest versions to compile that code correctly are GCC 5.5 or
anything >= 6.4

> Therefore, my question for you is:
>
> Where do I get a GCC 5.2 (C++11) download from you guys?

You don't, sorry. The GCC project does not provide precompiled binaries.
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

I suggest you try to get a newer version of the mingw port of GCC,
which you can get from the mingw project. You might want to try
something other than CodeBlocks.

> Or maybe if GCC 5.5 would work for my computer. Maybe?

It should do.

* Re: gcc update help please
@ 2022-06-24  7:53 sotrdg sotrdg
From: sotrdg sotrdg @ 2022-06-24  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jm, gcc-help

I provide Canadian built x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc (multilib) 13 that would work on windows.

trcrsired/mingw-gcc (github.com)<https://github.com/trcrsired/mingw-gcc>
also clang
git@github.com:trcrsired/windows-hosted-llvm-clang.git<mailto:git@github.com:trcrsired/windows-hosted-llvm-clang.git>