* RE: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
@ 2004-10-12 17:21 Bras, Gerard
From: Bras, Gerard @ 2004-10-12 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info, maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

John,

This is a little off topic for this list, but WTF....

> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file

One of several things happened.  In decreasing order of likelihood:

1) Your download failed at your end.  Either you did ASCII mode after all, or you ran out of disk space, or your FTP client timed out prematurely, or....  Check the size of the file you ended up with against what's on the server.

2) The file is broken on the server. It happens.  If you are sure you got a clean download and it's still won't get through gunzip, try to downloading it form somewhere else.

cheers,
Gerard

From: steve@smc.vnet.net via RT @ 2004-10-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu

The gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz file is from my sunfreeare.com
site.  I am happy to answer any questions you might have about
those files.   You have already received some good advice.  There
are a number of possible ways to get a valid file you can gunzip
and install.

1.  When you download a file and cannot gunzip the file, look at
    the File Sizes and MD5 Checksums links at the left on the
    sunfreeware.com web site.  Check to make sure that the file
    size of gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz say is correct and if
    you have md5 installed on your system, run
    md5 gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
    to make sure you have a valid file also.  Once, you have a
    valid file gunzip should work fine.  This file has been downloaded
    more than 100,000 times and so I know it works.

2.  If you do not get the correct size, try another download and
    check it again.  If you still get the wrong size or checksum,
    run

    file gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

    and see if it says

gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz:	gzip compressed data - deflate method , original file name

    This proves your file has not been gunzipped by your browser.  If it say
    something else, it is possible the file has been gunzipped but the .gz
    has not been removed.  You might just try

mv gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local

and then run

pkgadd -d gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local

as root to do the installation.

3. If you continue to get an invalid download, you might try to do
a regular anonymous ftp to

ftp.sunfreeware.com

then, set binary mode, and do

cd pub/freeware/sparc/8

Then

get gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

and check the file size.

Note that gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz is a large file and sometimes
your ftp session will time out before you get the whole file or you
may not have enough space in your download directory.

There are other programs that you might need to install gcc and use
it properly on your system.   I am happy to guide you in making this
happen.

Steve Christensen
sunfreeware.com

> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm software analyst and developer in Belgium.
> > I want to test and compare the performance of some JVM and compilers (JIT, Native code generator, JVM Optimised).
> > I'm facing some problème when installing GCJ.
> > I want to install GCJ on Solaris Sparc 64 plateform.
> > When i transfert "gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz" file (with or without binary FTP command) and i gunzip it, i have the following error :
> > bash-2.03$ gunzip gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
> > gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file
> >
> > What about this file and where i can find the good one ?
> > Where i can find good articles ?
> > There is two days i'm stopped.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry, but as this is only a general contact address, I cannot
> properly answer technical questions such as yours.  The best I can do is
> refer you to the GCC Manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) and Frequently
> Asked Questions (http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html).  If neither of those provide
> an answer to your question, please contact the GCC users' help list; you
> can learn more about it at <http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html>.
>
> I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Sullivan
> Program Administrator
>
> Free Software Foundation	Phone: (617)542-5942 x23
> 59 Temple Place, Suite 330	Fax:   (617)542-2652
> Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA	Email: info@fsf.org
> http://member.fsf.org

* Re: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
       [not found] <rt-211945@gnu.org>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-13  8:27 ` steve@smc.vnet.net via RT
From: steve@smc.vnet.net via RT @ 2004-10-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu

@ 2004-10-13  8:27 Steven M. Christensen
From: Steven M. Christensen @ 2004-10-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna, info; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

> [...]

> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry, but as this is only a general contact address, I cannot
> properly answer technical questions such as yours.  The best I can do is
> refer you to the GCC Manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) and Frequently
> Asked Questions (http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html).  If neither of those provide
> an answer to your question, please contact the GCC users' help list; you
> can learn more about it at <http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html>.
>
> I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Sullivan
> Program Administrator
>
> Free Software Foundation	Phone: (617)542-5942 x23
> 59 Temple Place, Suite 330	Fax:   (617)542-2652
> Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA	Email: info@fsf.org
> http://member.fsf.org

* RE: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-12 17:32 ` lrtaylor@micron.com via RT
From: lrtaylor@micron.com via RT @ 2004-10-12 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

One possibility is that if you're using a web browser to download the file, some web browsers will automatically decompress the file for you - even if you save it with the same name as on the server.  To see if that's the case, you might try working with the file as though you had already run gunzip on it and see if you have any success.  Unfortunately, since the file name doesn't seem to give any kind of clue what kind of file it is, I can't help you any beyond that...

Thanks,
Lyle

> i'm software analyst and developer in Belgium.
> I want to test and compare the performance of some JVM and compilers (JIT, Native code generator, JVM Optimised).
> I'm facing some problème when installing GCJ.
> I want to install GCJ on Solaris Sparc 64 plateform.
> When i transfert "gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz" file (with or without binary FTP command) and i gunzip it, i have the following error :
> bash-2.03$ gunzip gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file
>
> What about this file and where i can find the good one ?
> Where i can find good articles ?
> There is two days i'm stopped.

Hello,

I'm sorry, but as this is only a general contact address, I cannot
properly answer technical questions such as yours.  The best I can do is
refer you to the GCC Manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) and Frequently
Asked Questions (http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html).  If neither of those provide
an answer to your question, please contact the GCC users' help list; you
can learn more about it at <http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html>.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

--

Sincerely,

John Sullivan
Program Administrator

Free Software Foundation	Phone: (617)542-5942 x23
59 Temple Place, Suite 330	Fax:   (617)542-2652
Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA	Email: info@fsf.org
http://member.fsf.org

* RE: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
       [not found] <rt-211945@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-12 17:31 ` lrtaylor@micron.com via RT
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: lrtaylor@micron.com via RT @ 2004-10-12 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

@ 2004-10-12 17:30 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-10-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info, maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

One possibility is that if you're using a web browser to download the file, some web browsers will automatically decompress the file for you - even if you save it with the same name as on the server.  To see if that's the case, you might try working with the file as though you had already run gunzip on it and see if you have any success.  Unfortunately, since the file name doesn't seem to give any kind of clue what kind of file it is, I can't help you any beyond that...

Thanks,
Lyle

> i'm software analyst and developer in Belgium.
> I want to test and compare the performance of some JVM and compilers (JIT, Native code generator, JVM Optimised).
> I'm facing some problème when installing GCJ.
> I want to install GCJ on Solaris Sparc 64 plateform.
> When i transfert "gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz" file (with or without binary FTP command) and i gunzip it, i have the following error :
> bash-2.03$ gunzip gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file
>
> What about this file and where i can find the good one ?
> Where i can find good articles ?
> There is two days i'm stopped.

Hello,

I'm sorry, but as this is only a general contact address, I cannot
properly answer technical questions such as yours.  The best I can do is
refer you to the GCC Manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) and Frequently
Asked Questions (http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html).  If neither of those provide
an answer to your question, please contact the GCC users' help list; you
can learn more about it at <http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html>.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

--

Sincerely,

John Sullivan
Program Administrator

Free Software Foundation	Phone: (617)542-5942 x23
59 Temple Place, Suite 330	Fax:   (617)542-2652
Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA	Email: info@fsf.org
http://member.fsf.org

* RE: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
       [not found] <rt-211945@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-12 17:24 ` Bras, Gerard via RT
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bras, Gerard via RT @ 2004-10-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

John,

This is a little off topic for this list, but WTF....

> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file

One of several things happened.  In decreasing order of likelihood:

1) Your download failed at your end.  Either you did ASCII mode after all, or you ran out of disk space, or your FTP client timed out prematurely, or....  Check the size of the file you ended up with against what's on the server.

2) The file is broken on the server. It happens.  If you are sure you got a clean download and it's still won't get through gunzip, try to downloading it form somewhere else.

cheers,
Gerard

> i'm software analyst and developer in Belgium.
> I want to test and compare the performance of some JVM and compilers (JIT, Native code generator, JVM Optimised).
> I'm facing some problème when installing GCJ.
> I want to install GCJ on Solaris Sparc 64 plateform.
> When i transfert "gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz" file (with or without binary FTP command) and i gunzip it, i have the following error :
> bash-2.03$ gunzip gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file
>
> What about this file and where i can find the good one ?
> Where i can find good articles ?
> There is two days i'm stopped.

Hello,

I'm sorry, but as this is only a general contact address, I cannot
properly answer technical questions such as yours.  The best I can do is
refer you to the GCC Manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) and Frequently
Asked Questions (http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html).  If neither of those provide
an answer to your question, please contact the GCC users' help list; you
can learn more about it at <http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html>.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

--

Sincerely,

John Sullivan
Program Administrator

Free Software Foundation	Phone: (617)542-5942 x23
59 Temple Place, Suite 330	Fax:   (617)542-2652
Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA	Email: info@fsf.org
http://member.fsf.org

* RE: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
       [not found] <rt-211945@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-12 17:21 ` Bras, Gerard via RT
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bras, Gerard via RT @ 2004-10-12 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurice_mukuna; +Cc: gcc-help, gnu, steve

John,

This is a little off topic for this list, but WTF....

> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file

One of several things happened.  In decreasing order of likelihood:

1) Your download failed at your end.  Either you did ASCII mode after all, or you ran out of disk space, or your FTP client timed out prematurely, or....  Check the size of the file you ended up with against what's on the server.

2) The file is broken on the server. It happens.  If you are sure you got a clean download and it's still won't get through gunzip, try to downloading it form somewhere else.

cheers,
Gerard

> i'm software analyst and developer in Belgium.
> I want to test and compare the performance of some JVM and compilers (JIT, Native code generator, JVM Optimised).
> I'm facing some problème when installing GCJ.
> I want to install GCJ on Solaris Sparc 64 plateform.
> When i transfert "gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz" file (with or without binary FTP command) and i gunzip it, i have the following error :
> bash-2.03$ gunzip gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
> gunzip: gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: unexpected end of file
>
> What about this file and where i can find the good one ?
> Where i can find good articles ?
> There is two days i'm stopped.

Hello,

I'm sorry, but as this is only a general contact address, I cannot
properly answer technical questions such as yours.  The best I can do is
refer you to the GCC Manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/) and Frequently
Asked Questions (http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html).  If neither of those provide
an answer to your question, please contact the GCC users' help list; you
can learn more about it at <http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html>.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

--

Sincerely,

John Sullivan
Program Administrator

Free Software Foundation	Phone: (617)542-5942 x23
59 Temple Place, Suite 330	Fax:   (617)542-2652
Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA	Email: info@fsf.org
http://member.fsf.org

* Re: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !
       [not found] <rt-211945@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-12 16:23 ` John Sullivan via RT
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: John Sullivan via RT @ 2004-10-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)